DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with the name

John

I'm getting this error when i'm trying to databind my dataset to a dropdown:
DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with the
name '12/12/2003'
but if I do a response.write I can see the dates fine, what is causing this
error?

code:
dYear.DataSource = dsYearofSales.Tables[1];
string strYearofSales = dsYearofSales[1].Rows[0]["SaleDate"].tostring();
dYear.DataTextField =
Convert.ToDateTime(strYearofSales).ToShortDateString();
dYear.DataValueField =
Convert.ToDateTime(strYearofSales).ToShortDateString();

but if i do
Response.write(Convert.ToDateTime(strYearofSales).ToShortDateString());
it works, so what am i missing or doing wrong?

John

yeah i know, but I want to conver it to a 12/12/2003 and not 12/12/2003
12:00 AM
as the below code does.
I've used the below code and it works but I want the date as 12/12/2003 and
not 12/12/2003 12:00 AM.

the Convert.ToDateTime() is causing my issue
Eliyahu Goldin said:
All you need is:

dYear.DataSource = dsYearofSales.Tables[1];
dYear.DataTextField ="SaleDate";
dYear.DataBind();

Welcome to asp.net from asp!

Eliyahu

John said:
I'm getting this error when i'm trying to databind my dataset to a
dropdown:
DataBinding: 'System.Data.DataRowView' does not contain a property with
the name '12/12/2003'
but if I do a response.write I can see the dates fine, what is causing
this error?

code:
dYear.DataSource = dsYearofSales.Tables[1];
string strYearofSales = dsYearofSales[1].Rows[0]["SaleDate"].tostring();
dYear.DataTextField =
Convert.ToDateTime(strYearofSales).ToShortDateString();
dYear.DataValueField =
Convert.ToDateTime(strYearofSales).ToShortDateString();

but if i do
Response.write(Convert.ToDateTime(strYearofSales).ToShortDateString());
it works, so what am i missing or doing wrong?

Eliyahu Goldin

All you need is:

dYear.DataSource = dsYearofSales.Tables[1];
dYear.DataTextField ="SaleDate";
dYear.DataBind();

Welcome to asp.net from asp!

Eliyahu

Eliyahu Goldin

Then loop through the items of dYear after data binding and re-format their
text by with your converting calls.

Eliyahu

John said:
yeah i know, but I want to conver it to a 12/12/2003 and not 12/12/2003
12:00 AM
as the below code does.
I've used the below code and it works but I want the date as 12/12/2003
and not 12/12/2003 12:00 AM.

the Convert.ToDateTime() is causing my issue
All you need is: