    the grid is to be populated by a dataset.

    Thanks in advance

    Maria

    Maria, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Maria

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    It sure seems like a simple requirement, but this is a major programming
    task you are undertaking. Proceed with due diligence. Here are some issues
    that may concern you. To make a web page interactive (have clients change
    values) you first need to embed an excel spreadsheet into the web page and
    automate (control) it. It's doable but the catch is that there are strict
    licensing restrictions on when, how and where you can embed that object,
    because the object belongs to microsoft. These requirements force the user
    to have excel or a product belonging to the office suite of products
    installed on the client. In addition, it is against licensing requirements
    to open up this site to the internet. In fact, it wouldn't even run
    correctly.

    To get around the automation and licensing issues, you may want to stream
    the data to the client in an excel stream by changing the content type of
    the page. This requires no licensing and no embedding. However, the page
    would only have excel on it and your drop downs or other webcontrols would
    likely cause problems. And the page would not be interactive. You can use
    script, clientside to submit the form back to the database to get the
    changes made clientside.

    Alternatively, you can stream to a frame though and keep your other
    webcontrols outside the frame, say in another frame and make it look like a
    seamless whole page. Before going any further, does that seem like something
    you would want to invest some time in? There are other options available as
    well.

    There is a good article about excel in the Aspnetpro magazine concerning
    just that - author Steve Orr. It's the November issue I believe. It will get
    you started down the right path.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney, Dec 7, 2003

  3. see my sample :
    http://www.lostinet.com/en/lwsamplecs/?framesrc=SmartIFrame/AuthorList.aspx
    http://www.lostinet.com/en/lwsamplecs/?framesrc=SmartIFrame/AuthorGrid.aspx

    "Maria" <> ???? news:05ad01c3bcc9$1fa39b10$...

    Lostinet.Web Support, Dec 8, 2003
  4. Maria

    Maria Guest

    Thanks for the tips

    I solved it just by the way I did not wan't to. By
    programming a lot. I used <asp:table> since it just should
    look like excel in some part and now it working quite well.

    /Thank's
    Maria

    Maria, Dec 8, 2003