Datagrid DropdownList in edit mode???

Guest

Can someone tell me how I get the correct selected office in my drop down
list when I enter edit mode. At the moment it just defaults to the office at
the top of the drop down list rather than picking the office that has
actually been selected previously!

I hope this is clear...

Here is my code...

Thanks

''''''''''''''''''''''Problem - not reading the correct office when in
edit mode
Function GetSelectedIndex(ByVal PageID As String) As Integer

Dim Myconn As New
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("strConn"))
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("SelectOffice", Myconn)

Myconn.Open()

Dim myReader As SqlDataReader = cmd.ExecuteReader()

If myReader.HasRows Then
Do While myReader.Read()
Console.WriteLine(vbTab & "{0}" & vbTab & "{1}",
myReader.GetInt32(0), myReader.GetString(1))
Loop
Else
Console.WriteLine("No rows returned.")
End If

myReader.Close()

Myconn.Close()
End Function

Sub populateDDL_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs)

Dim pageID = CInt(CType(e.Item.FindControl("pageID"), TextBox).Text)

'Construct the Database Connection
Dim Myconn As New
SqlConnection(ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("strConn"))
Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("SelectOffice", Myconn)

If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.EditItem Then

Myconn.Open()

Dim add_Office As DropDownList

'Populates Office DropDownList with office names
add_Office = CType(e.Item.FindControl("DDLeditOffice"),
DropDownList)
add_Office.DataSource =
cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)
add_Office.DataTextField = "offName"
add_Office.DataValueField = "officeID"
add_Office.DataBind()
add_Office.SelectedIndex = GetSelectedIndex(pageID)
Myconn.Close()
Else

If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Footer Then

Myconn.Open()

Dim add_Office As DropDownList

'Populates Office DropDownList with office names
add_Office = CType(e.Item.FindControl("DDLaddOffice"),
DropDownList)
add_Office.DataSource =
cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)
add_Office.DataTextField = "offName"
add_Office.DataValueField = "officeID"
add_Office.DataBind()
add_Office.Items.Insert(0, "Select One")
add_Office.Items.FindByText("Select One").Value = 0 'insert
don't create a value, but we need a value during defaults
add_Office.SelectedIndex = 0
Myconn.Close()
End If
End If
End Sub

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Tim,

Don't have time to test your code, but just in case.... this issue is often
caused by incorrectly rebinding to the data on postback. Make sure you are
wrapping the function in If not ispostback

Guest

Hi Ken thanks for the response but I don't think this is the problem!

I would appritiate any other suggestions!

Thanks