Datagrid - Edit/Update Question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jennifer, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    I've got a datagrid. I want to allow the user to edit in the grid
    directly. I'm using ASP with VB as the code behind in Visual Studio
    2002.

    I've never had a need or desire to do this before, so I found an
    Quickstart example at DotNetJunkies.com. I've modified it for my needs
    and can't get it to work. Specifically, the part where I get the
    edited cell values does not work. e.Item.Cells(1).Text returns
    nothing. None of the other indexes returns anything either. Please
    help me out.

    Truly appreciated,
    Jennifer

    Private Sub dgNotes_UpdateCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridCommandEventArgs) Handles
    dgNotes.UpdateCommand
    Dim sPicked As String
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim FName As String
    Dim LName As String
    Dim N As String
    Dim sUpdateQuery As String
    Dim con As New ConnectDB()
    Dim cn As SqlClient.SqlConnection
    Dim cmd As SqlClient.SqlCommand
    Dim RetVal As Int16
    Dim sFeedback As String = e.Item.Cells(1).Text
    Dim sProject As String = e.Item.Cells(2).Text
    Dim sShift As Integer = e.Item.Cells(3).Text
    Dim sDate As String = e.Item.Cells(4).Text
    Dim sNote As String = e.Item.Cells(5).Text

    sPicked = Request("N")
    i = InStr(sPicked, ",")
    FName = Trim(Mid(sPicked, i + 1))
    LName = Trim(Left(sPicked, i - 1))
    N = Me.User.Identity.Name.ToString

    sUpdateQuery = "UPDATE Captured_Data " & _
    "Set Feedback = '" & sFeedback & "', Project = '" & sProject &
    "', Shift = " & _
    sShift & ", [Date] = '" & Date.Now & "',Information = '" &
    sNote & "', " & _
    "Agent_FirstName = '" & FName & "', Agent_LastName = '" & LName
    & "', Note_Author = '" & _
    N & "' Where Agent_LastName = '" & LName & "' and
    Agent_FirstName = '" & FName & "' and " & _
    "[Date] = '" & sDate & "'"

    txtNotes.Text = sUpdateQuery

    cn = con.ConnectDB
    cn.Open()
    cmd = New SqlClient.SqlCommand(sUpdateQuery, cn)
    cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text
    RetVal = cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()
    cn.Close()
    FillGrid()