datagrid editcommand

Richard Roche

Is it possible to use a drop combo instead of a text box
when using the EditCommand in the Datagrid? Many table
columns are bound to 'lookup' tables, user's don't care
about the foreign keys, they want the text value. Any
advice, samples or places to read are appreciated.

Thanks.

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Richard,

We can change a Textbox to a DropDownList in Datagrid edit mode. Please see
the following steps:

1. Change the bound column to a template column. You can easily do this in
the properties builder of the Datagrid. Select the columns tab, and then
click the column in the "Select columns"listbox, and you will find a link
"convert this column to a template column" upon "OK" button. Click the link
then click OK.

2. Right click the Datagrid and move to "Edit Template", then select the
template column in the pop up menu, delete the textbox in the
EditItemTemplate cell and add a DropDownList.

3. In the code behind, initialize the DropDownList in the
DataGrid1_ItemDataBound event:

Here is a snippet:

private void DataGrid1_ItemDataBound(object sender,
if(e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.EditItem)
{
Control ctrl=e.Item.FindControl("DropDownList1");
if(ctrl!=null)
{
DropDownList dropdown=(DropDownList)ctrl;
dropdown.DataSource =DataGrid1.DataSource ;
dropdown.DataTextField = "id";
dropdown.DataValueField = "value";
dropdown.DataBind ();

You can check these links for more information:

Top Questions about the DataGrid Web Server Control
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstecha
rt/html/vbtchtopquestionsaboutaspnetdatagridservercontrol.asp>

Datagrid ... Combo instead of Textbox
<http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/5/28740.aspx>

DataGrid.EditCommand Event
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebUIWebContr
olsDataGridClassEditCommandTopic.asp>

Please let me know if you need more information, thanks.

Best Regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "Eric Wise" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: datagrid editcommand
| Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:41:30 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Read up on datagrid template fields.
|
| | > Is it possible to use a drop combo instead of a text box
| > when using the EditCommand in the Datagrid? Many table
| > columns are bound to 'lookup' tables, user's don't care
| > about the foreign keys, they want the text value. Any
| > advice, samples or places to read are appreciated.
| >
| > Thanks.

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

I am glad to hear it. Thanks very much for participating the community.

Regards,
Lewis