    about the foreign keys, they want the text value. Any
    advice, samples or places to read are appreciated.

    Thanks.
    Richard Roche, Jul 31, 2003

  2. Richard Roche

    Eric Wise Guest

    Read up on datagrid template fields.

    Eric Wise, Jul 31, 2003

  3. Hi Richard,

    We can change a Textbox to a DropDownList in Datagrid edit mode. Please see
    the following steps:

    1. Change the bound column to a template column. You can easily do this in
    the properties builder of the Datagrid. Select the columns tab, and then
    click the column in the "Select columns"listbox, and you will find a link
    "convert this column to a template column" upon "OK" button. Click the link
    then click OK.

    2. Right click the Datagrid and move to "Edit Template", then select the
    template column in the pop up menu, delete the textbox in the
    EditItemTemplate cell and add a DropDownList.

    3. In the code behind, initialize the DropDownList in the
    DataGrid1_ItemDataBound event:

    Here is a snippet:

    private void DataGrid1_ItemDataBound(object sender,
    if(e.Item.ItemType == ListItemType.EditItem)
    {
    Control ctrl=e.Item.FindControl("DropDownList1");
    if(ctrl!=null)
    {
    DropDownList dropdown=(DropDownList)ctrl;
    dropdown.DataSource =DataGrid1.DataSource ;
    dropdown.DataTextField = "id";
    dropdown.DataValueField = "value";
    dropdown.DataBind ();

    You can check these links for more information:

    Top Questions about the DataGrid Web Server Control
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dv_vstecha
    rt/html/vbtchtopquestionsaboutaspnetdatagridservercontrol.asp>

    Datagrid ... Combo instead of Textbox
    <http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/5/28740.aspx>

    DataGrid.EditCommand Event
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebUIWebContr
    olsDataGridClassEditCommandTopic.asp>

    Please let me know if you need more information, thanks.

    Best Regards,
    Lewis

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Aug 1, 2003
  4. Thanks, I have it working :>
    Richard Roche, Aug 1, 2003
  5. I am glad to hear it. Thanks very much for participating the community.

    Regards,
    Lewis

    Lewis Wang [MSFT], Aug 4, 2003