    something available for "classic" ASP?

    I would appreciate any thoughts or directions

    Richard Speiss
    Richard Speiss, Nov 29, 2005

  2. Richard Speiss wrote:
    > I have a website that uses a database and ASP to create the pages
    > from this database.
    >
    > Currently I have an application written that connects to the remote
    > database and allows me to add/change/delete records from the various
    > tables.
    >
    > I want to get rid of my stand alone application and integrate this
    > ability into the website itself. i.e. Have the browser login and
    > then be able to operate on the tables using some sort of DataGrid
    > like component. There seems to be a lot out there for .NET but I was
    > wondering if there was something available for "classic" ASP?

    This question is somewhat offtopic. ASP, remember, is about using
    server-side script to
    a) process request data
    b) generate HTML to be sent to the client

    However, there are components created to be used by server-side script - you
    can probably get information about them in the components group.

    Visual Interdev had some Design-Time controls (DTC's) that were frankly a
    waste of time.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 29, 2005

  3. My apologies. I assumed that this component would be written in ASP and
    generate the appropriate HTML for the browser to interact with

    Richard

    Richard Speiss, Nov 29, 2005
  4. No apologies needed. I was not intending a rebuke.

    Richard Speiss wrote:
    > My apologies. I assumed that this component would be written in ASP
    > and generate the appropriate HTML for the browser to interact with
    >
    > Richard
    >
    >> This question is somewhat offtopic. ASP, remember, is about using
    >> server-side script to
    >> a) process request data
    >> b) generate HTML to be sent to the client
    >>
    >> However, there are components created to be used by server-side
    >> script - you
    >> can probably get information about them in the components group.
    >>
    >> Visual Interdev had some Design-Time controls (DTC's) that were
    >> frankly a waste of time.
    >>
    >> Bob Barrows
    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 29, 2005
  5. Richard Speiss

    Guest

    I've done some datagrids (or something similar) myself but they can be
    a little hard to explain in a post. But here are some links I found
    that might hopefully be useful.

    ASP Datagrid V 1.0 beat by Omeya Ambre
    http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=8802&lngWId=4
    "It has got vb datagrid functionality to add, edit, delete record ...
    give me some time i ll also do sorting & paging :)"
    Free.

    Creating a Datagrid Class in classic ASP - Introduction by Brian
    O'Connell
    http://www.developerfusion.com/show/2328/
    Free.
    Uses a class.

    ASP Datagrid object by Claus Stahnke
    http://www.dmxzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=4739
    $69 (as of 7/2004). Free demo

    DbNetGrid
    http://www.dbnetgrid.com/dbnetgrid/default.aspx
    $199 - $1,499 depending on how it is used. Free demo.

    Best regards,
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    http://www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips
    , Nov 29, 2005
  6. Richard Speiss wrote:
    > I have a website that uses a database and ASP to create the pages
    > from this database.
    >
    > Currently I have an application written that connects to the remote
    > database and allows me to add/change/delete records from the various
    > tables.
    >
    > I want to get rid of my stand alone application and integrate this
    > ability into the website itself. i.e. Have the browser login and
    > then be able to operate on the tables using some sort of DataGrid
    > like component. There seems to be a lot out there for .NET but I was
    > wondering if there was something available for "classic" ASP?
    >
    > I would appreciate any thoughts or directions
    >
    > Richard Speiss

    I just came across this:
    http://www.axezz.com/AxpDb/Index.aspx
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 29, 2005
  7. Thanks for all the links. I will check those out.

    Richard

    Richard Speiss, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Thanks, Ill check that out too.

    Just out of curiousity, my web server is using ASP because that's what I
    loaded on it originally. Is it much effort to upgrade a site to ASP.NET?

    Does the client have to have .NET installed as well or is it strictly a
    server side thing (i.e. it does not generate code that requires .NET on the
    client)?

    There's not a huge reason (other than time to learn ASP.NET) that is
    preventing me from upgrading to ASP.NET and using the .NET datagrid. Would
    my existing pages have to change or is it backwards compatible?

    Thanks again

    Richard

    Richard Speiss, Dec 2, 2005
  9. good reading if you are thinking about switching over to .net

    http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/asp-and-aspdotnet.asp

    just one opinion but some good points

    Kyle Peterson, Dec 6, 2005
  10. > "Richard Speiss" <> wrote in message

    >> Just out of curiousity, my web server is using ASP because that's what I
    >> loaded on it originally. Is it much effort to upgrade a site to ASP.NET?

    Not if you're used to web application boundaries, authentication
    schemes, security tokens, permissions, user rights etc. There are two
    separate answers to your question.

    1. Upgrading the web server; if you've used IIS for years on big servers
    and read all the readme files, you'll probably find this part easy.

    2. Upgrading the "site"; that's completely different! In my view you
    can't upgrade it, you have to rewrite it in .NET

    Bear in mind that ASP.NET technology is not really much different to ASP
    on the surface, but there's more to it than that; once you switch to
    ASP.NET you have to start writing all your code in .NET and that's
    completely different to something like VBScript and COM. It's also
    arguable that you'd need something like Visual Studio.

    >> Does the client have to have .NET installed as well

    Only if you listen to Microsoft. Their current hype is that web
    applications, HTML and the W3C are dead, and in future all distributed
    apps will run on Windows/IE only, as Avalon-enabled XAML "smart clients"
    with an SOA back-end. The reality is that the future is open-standards
    W3C cross-browser code with cross-platform open-source back-ends. Hell
    you only have to look back a few years to the security disaster brought
    on by ActiveX to see why you don't want the Microsoft "dream". Future
    apps will need to run "out of the box" on any browser and o/s, and
    without any silly security warnings or dumbo dialogs saying things like
    "Would you like to install and run get-rich-quick v2"

    You can run .NET server side and server web apps without any of the
    aforementioned hype, but look out for how ASP.NET renders it's HTML - it
    changes it for different browsers and that's a sin, because it means the
    Microsoft authored code it's generating is not cross-browser. Don't
    worry you can turn this off in web.config

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
    Gerry Hickman, Dec 6, 2005
  11. Hi Kyle,

    > good reading if you are thinking about switching over to .net
    >
    > http://www.powerasp.com/content/new/asp-and-aspdotnet.asp
    >
    > just one opinion but some good points

    Interesting, but I'd like to have seen more comparisons of the actual
    technologies used, and also harder hitting questions on how it fits with
    future strategies.

    One thing that is of special interest to me, is where you say that ASP
    is better for the novice developer and .NET is more advanced. This is
    the opposite to a) how it's being sold by Microsoft, b) how our own
    developers view it.

    With .NET (and assuming you have Visual Studio) you can just drag and
    drop a few controls onto a form, hit build, and then the app will run
    with very little coding, and even when you need to code, you'll get all
    that cosy intellisense to help you. Much easier than manually typing ASP
    code in notepad! Once it comes to so-called "business objects", how many
    classic ASP guys are able to write a COM middle-tier with the correct
    threading model etc? .NET does it all for you...

    However, I'm there doing all the IIS stuff and knowing what to do when
    it gives a cryptic error, and maybe that's where some developers can't
    cut it. I also tend to use ASP for my own projects because I find .NET
    is like a big glossy facade, but some of these new .NET developers have
    lost sight of how the web actually works and they never really
    understood Windows so-called "security" in the first place.

    One downside of ASP though (relevant to the subject) is that you can end
    up re-inventing the wheel all the time (e.g. making a data grid) whereas
    ..NET has a lot of pre-built kiddie-bricks you can play with out of the box.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
    Gerry Hickman, Dec 6, 2005