DataGrid for Data Entry

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Abdul Malik Said, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. Hope you can help me in decisions to make for my datagrid design:

    I have a pivoted dataset. The rowset I took from the database query has been
    pivoted in the codebehind page. This is the data from the system to display,
    which I want to make completely editable. I just want a text box in each
    cell of the grid, so the user can edit them.

    A couple of questions:

    1) How do I let the user copy and paste multiple values from and to the
    grid? Just like excel...
    2) How can I best keep track of the edits the user makes so that when they
    save the changes, I can just update the dirty cells?

    I know this is a bit vague, since it is mostly a design just now. So far, I
    have not added the text boxes to my template columns. I am in the process of
    doing that now. I just want to know if the datagrid is actually going to be
    able to do what I want it to do. I don't want an "edit column" type
    scenario, where there is an edit/delete/etc. buttons. I want it to be more
    like excel.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Malik
    Abdul Malik Said, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Abdul Malik Said

    Scott M. Guest

    I don't think you can have a multiple copy paste scenario here.

    After edits are made, just take those new values and store them in your
    dataset. When you update your DataAdapter, it will look at the dirty rows
    of the DataSet and automatically update only those rows.

    Scott M., Feb 20, 2005

  3. Abdul Malik Said

    Elton Wang Guest

    Hi Abdul,

    Why do you want to use Web application for bulk data
    inputting? Due to client-server mode, network
    communication constraint, normally web application is not
    good choice for bulk data inputting.

    Elton Wang

    Elton Wang, Feb 20, 2005
  4. Elton,

    I am upgrading an existing web application that allows the user to enter
    data using an ActiveX control. I have to get rid of the ActiveX control
    (3rd-party) and make it a dot-net solution.

    I don't anticipate any problem with performance of the web app because it is
    an Intranet-based application. All of the users will be on the same domain
    as the Web Server, so their requests to update data will go through quickly.
    The application also allows for bulk data input directly from a file, but I
    need to enable it from within the web app so users will be able to update
    individual values.

    Thanks for your comment. This is exactly the kind of feedback that helps,
    because I am in the design phase. This is the time to change my mind about
    anything before I start committing myself to an implementation! :)

    Thanks,
    Malik

    Abdul Malik Said, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Scott,

    Thanks for your advice on the DataAdapter. Now that I know it is possible, I
    will start implementing that functionality.

    I am still holding out for multiple copy and paste... I really want it! I'm
    hoping that Template columns with text boxes might work this way, but I may
    have to force them to do this or write some javascript to make it happen. My
    initial reaction was the same as yours, though, that this may not work. Only
    thing to do now is try it and see...

    Thanks for your advice, and I will post back here if I find anything about
    multiple copy-and pastes.

    Malik

    Abdul Malik Said, Feb 21, 2005