Datagrid + ImageButton = Slooooowwwww

Jake

Hi All,

I have an aspx page with a datagrid which I am using to
display a list of thumbnails and their descriptions. The
thumbnails are sitting on my harddrive and the links to
them are stored in an Access database.

I have placed an ImageButton in a template column in the
datagrid and as the grid loads the ImageURL property of
the ImageButton is filled from the database.

Everything is fine on my test server but when I try to run
the page on a remote computer it is so slow that the
thumbnails often don't load when run on a 56k connection.

Can anyone help? Would I be better off using a Repeater
or a Datalist? Should I use an image control rather than
an ImageButton?

TIA, Jake

Marina

If the problem is a slow connection and lot's of images, I don't think there
is anything you can do. The other controls won't make the images load any
faster.

What you can do, is turn off viewstate for those controls for which you
don't really need it. This can help with load time.

Jake

Thanks Marina, I'll give that a try. I was thinking of
something like that but unfortunately I won't be able to
test it out until I get home tonight.

Fingers crossed :p