Datagrid in ViewState

igitur

Here's a quote out of
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnaspnet/html/asp11222001.asp

"The DataGrid control is a particularly heavy user of ViewState. By
default, all of the data displayed in the grid is also stored in
ViewState, and that's a wonderful thing when an expensive operation
(like a complex search) is required to fetch the data. However, this
behavior also makes DataGrid the prime suspect for unnecessary
ViewState"

Is this true? I'm pretty sure I have to populate my datagrids every
time.

thnx,
Francois
DIE SPAMMER DIE! Or remove the underscores!

Eliyahu Goldin

The statement is true. If you disable ViewState, you will see that resulting
HTML is much smaller.

And you are also right. If your datagrid is databound and you don't
re-populate your data source, the datagrid will come out empty.

My guess is that if the columns are not databound and ViewState is enabled,
the data should persist. It might not be correct since I never checked it.

Eliyahu