Datagrid Template columns shows data from first row

Guest

I have a datagrid with a template column that has a hyperlink and a label.
The hyperlink text is bound to Title from my dataset and the label text is
bound to Author in the dataset. The grid displays with the template columns
showing the Title and the Author from the first row in all rows. The other
none template columns are fine. Obviously I am not understanding something
here. What am I missing?????

Felix Wu [MSFT]

HI Barry,

How did you bind the data? Check the HTML view of the page, how does bind
line look like?

Please try this:

<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label id="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,
"DataItem.Author") %>'>
</ItemTemplate>

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

--------------------

Guest

I work in the IDE and this is the code generated by the template editor:

<asp:TemplateColumn HeaderText="Title">
<ItemTemplate>
<asp:HyperLink id=HyperLink1 runat="server" Text='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(dsBookSearch, "Tables[BookSearch].DefaultView.[0].Title")
%>' navigateUrl="BookInfo.aspx">
</asp:HyperLink><BR>
<asp:Label id="Label2" runat="server"> by </asp:Label>&nbsp;
<asp:Label id=Label1 runat="server" Text='<%#
DataBinder.Eval(dsBookSearch, "Tables[BookSearch].DefaultView.[0].Author")
%>'>
</asp:Label>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:TemplateColumn>

Guest

I got it to work by using Container,DataItem... I don't understand why
this works but refrencing the dataset does not?

--
Barry Fitzgerald

Felix Wu said:
HI Barry,

How did you bind the data? Check the HTML view of the page, how does bind
line look like?

Please try this:

<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label id="Label1" runat="server" Text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,
"DataItem.Author") %>'>
</ItemTemplate>

Regards,

Felix Wu
=============

Felix Wu [MSFT]

Hi Barry,

ASP.NET provides you many binding options for different purpose.
Container.DataItem allows you to bind to each element of DataSource. For
more information about Data Binding, the following link may help:

Data Binding Expression Syntax
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpgenref/html/cpcondatabindingexpres
sionsyntax.asp

Regards,