Datagrid to emulate Excel Spreadsheet

julian.tklim

Hi,

I am totally new to .NET datagrid. Just want to explore the possbility
of datagrid.

I am currently using Microsoft OWC to launch Excel over the Web. As
OWC is going to be discontinue by Microsoft. Therefore, I would like
to use .NET datagrid to emulate Excel SpreadSheet over the Web (eg:
Webgrid).

What I need to do is to store all the datagrid's cells in SQL Database
and also to be able to reference the cells in the datagrid to perform
different kinds of formula.

Eg: Cell A3 = Cell A1 x Cell A2.

Preferably, the cell's formula can be easily compose by user via front
end or setup pages. Is there any datagrid automation tools out there
which I can do this easily?

Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks.

Julian

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

You may be aware that a single spreadsheet supports thousands of rows by
hundreds of columns. Multiply that by a few spreadsheets over a moderate
user base and it's easy to see why that design would fall apart under even
moderate load. Add to the fact that the bare bones functionality of a
spreadsheet will take several thousand lines of code to get a datagrid to
behave in a similar fashion.

You need a better plan to handle your situation. It sounds like you may need
to look at Excel Services based on your situation. A datagrid simply cannot
handle the volume of data that a spreadsheet can handle. It wasn't meant for
that.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

julian.tklim

[...]

Hi Alvin,

Thanks for the reply. I know the limitation of Excel Eg: 65535 rows.
Actually, I forgot to mention one point. I am just dealing with one
worksheet. Probably having 200 columns by 200 rows.

I have tried evaluating Excel Service. I think it needs Microsoft
Sharepoint Server Enterprise edition in order to support Excel
Service. It seems to be "overkill" (in terms of cost) by having an
enterprise version just to implement a simple webgrid application.

Regards,
Julian

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Yup, well as you say, build your own or keep what you have.