    Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks.

    Julian

    , Feb 17, 2007

  2. You may be aware that a single spreadsheet supports thousands of rows by
    hundreds of columns. Multiply that by a few spreadsheets over a moderate
    user base and it's easy to see why that design would fall apart under even
    moderate load. Add to the fact that the bare bones functionality of a
    spreadsheet will take several thousand lines of code to get a datagrid to
    behave in a similar fashion.

    You need a better plan to handle your situation. It sounds like you may need
    to look at Excel Services based on your situation. A datagrid simply cannot
    handle the volume of data that a spreadsheet can handle. It wasn't meant for
    that.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 19, 2007

    On Feb 18, 5:46 pm, "Alvin Bruney [MVP]" <some guy without an email
    address> wrote:
    > You may be aware that a single spreadsheet supports thousands of rows by
    > hundreds of columns. Multiply that by a few spreadsheets over a moderate
    > user base and it's easy to see why that design would fall apart under even
    > moderate load. Add to the fact that the bare bones functionality of a
    > spreadsheet will take several thousand lines of code to get a datagrid to
    > behave in a similar fashion.
    >
    > You need a better plan to handle your situation. It sounds like you may need
    > to look at Excel Services based on your situation. A datagrid simply cannot
    > handle the volume of data that a spreadsheet can handle. It wasn't meant for
    > that.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Alvin Bruney
    > Shameless author plug
    > Excel Services for .NET is coming...
    > OWC Black book on Amazon andwww.lulu.com/owc
    > Professional VSTO 2005 - Wrox/Wiley
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > I am totally new to .NET datagrid. Just want to explore the possbility
    > > of datagrid.

    > > I am currently using Microsoft OWC to launch Excel over the Web. As
    > > OWC is going to be discontinue by Microsoft. Therefore, I would like
    > > to use .NET datagrid to emulate Excel SpreadSheet over the Web (eg:
    > > Webgrid).

    > > What I need to do is to store all the datagrid's cells in SQL Database
    > > and also to be able to reference the cells in the datagrid to perform
    > > different kinds of formula.

    > > Eg: Cell A3 = Cell A1 x Cell A2.

    > > Preferably, the cell's formula can be easily compose by user via front
    > > end or setup pages. Is there any datagrid automation tools out there
    > > which I can do this easily?

    > > Any reply will be appreciated. Thanks.

    > > Julian- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Alvin,

    Thanks for the reply. I know the limitation of Excel Eg: 65535 rows.
    Actually, I forgot to mention one point. I am just dealing with one
    worksheet. Probably having 200 columns by 200 rows.

    I have tried evaluating Excel Service. I think it needs Microsoft
    Sharepoint Server Enterprise edition in order to support Excel
    Service. It seems to be "overkill" (in terms of cost) by having an
    enterprise version just to implement a simple webgrid application.

    Regards,
    Julian

    , Feb 19, 2007
  4. Yup, well as you say, build your own or keep what you have.

    Alvin Bruney [MVP], Feb 27, 2007