Datagrid Update - Rows Lost

G

I have a datagrid on an aspx page with one column added via property builder - the edit/update/cancel. In addition there is a dropdownlist which has a list of table names.

Upon selecting one of the table names a post back is fired. During the post back the datagrid has columns added to it dynamically to represent each of the columns in the selected table

When the user clicks the edit button on a given row the cells then have textboxes added for user input

When the user clicks update after having made their changes a postback is fired and I attempt reference the textboxes only to find that there are NO cells any longer much less textboxes to reference in an effort to retrieve values to populate parameters for an update command object

If I rebind the datagrid before making the references to the textboxes it then contains the data BEFORE the user edited it therefore I lose their changes

Any ideas how I can keep from losing the textboxes to reference

And yes, I have enableviewstate set to true for BOTH the page and the datagrid specifically.

A

Aaron Weiker

If I rebind the datagrid before making the references to the textboxes
it then contains the data BEFORE the user edited it therefore I lose
their changes.

Demetri,
The order in which things are bound will make a difference in this case.
First of all you will want to make sure that you only use DataBind() after
you have done everything with the data that was there previously (posted).
This means that you will want to handle the update then do the databind. In
order to provide more specifics it would be beneficial if you could post
any relevant code.

Ask a Question