DataGrid/ViewState in Composite Control

jps

We have a composite control that encapsulates a DataGrid
and some other widgets. Whenever a PostBack is issued on
the ASPX page containing this control, the controls
constructor is called, along with CreateChildControls.

This seems to create a problem when using PageSize within
the encapsulated DataGrid, since the DataGrid effectively
gets re-created each time someone clicks on "Next".

What is the proper method for managing this - how do we
maintain the ViewState of the encapsulated DataGrid within
our Composite control? OR... is attempting to encapsulate
a DataGrid something that isn't supposed to be feasible (?)

-- jps