Datagrid with AJAX

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by CC, Jun 22, 2006.

  1. CC

    CC Guest

    Hello to everyone. First of all excuse my very poor english. This comes from
    Spain.

    I´ve a datagrid with textboxes and checkboxes. User makes changes, but
    changes are made only when user press a button.

    Now i´ve to change it, and make changes (updates in database) in
    'background' each time user makes a change (lostfocus of a textbox).

    This changes have to be as invisible as possible for user. I´ve achieved
    this, but each change has its correspondent page 'reload'.

    Is possible to make changes but without 'refreshing' pages.

    A friend has talk me about AJAX or ATLAS, but i´ve no idea about this.

    Any help, example will be wellcome.

    Carlos
    CC, Jun 22, 2006

  2. Hola,

    I already posted here a message about ATLAS... and I think that's what you
    need, but remember!
    While you are Updating the DB the user can't do anything! unless you turn
    that assyncronaly, and that I never did, so I can't help you with that.

    to use ATLAS, all you need to do is:

    1. go to http://atlas.asp.net/ download teh framework, and installed
    2. open VS2k5 and create a new ATLAS Website
    3. copy the web.config file and paste it in your own web.config
    4. copy the BIN folder and paste it to your project

    now the code:

    5. after you have everything running as you need/wanted using normal
    PostBacks, add a ScriptManager tag to the code (fisrt lines after <form>
    like this:

    <atlas:ScriptManager runat="server" id="sm"
    EnablePartialRendering="true" />

    6. involve your GRIDVIEW tag with atlas:UpdatePanel tag, like:

    <atlas:updatepanel runat="server" ID="up1" Mode="Always">
    <ContentTemplate>
    <asp:DataGrid ...
    </ContentTemplate>
    </atlas:updatepanel>

    7. RUN the code :-D

    8. if you want to have a label shoowing for example "updating..."
    everytime you are performing a request to the Database from your GridView,
    just add the code:

    <atlas:UpdateProgress runat="server" ID="pp">
    <ProgressTemplate>
    bold;">loading...</div>
    </ProgressTemplate>
    </atlas:UpdateProgress>