datalist and OnItemDatabound

MattB

Hey all. I think this should be a simple question for many of you. I
have a simple guestbook type of page I'm making with asp.net/vb.net.
It's generally going well, but I want to give visitors the option of
hiding their email addresses. I've got a boolean field in my (very
simple) table to indicate the state of a checkbox the user can check.

So I've created an OnItemDatabound event tied to my Datalist that
displays the guestbook entries. My event looks like this:

-----------------
Protected Sub dlGuests_DataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListItemEventArgs)
ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
If e.Item.DataItem("hide_email") Then
e.Item.DataItem("email") = "<i>hidden</i>"
End If
End If
End Sub
-----------------

If I step through it the code is executing, and I do hit my condition
(If e.Item.DataItem("hide_email")) which then executes the code that I
thought would change the email address text to thew word "hidden".

But the email address still displays. What am I doing wrong? I suspect
it's the assignment of e.Item.DataItem("email") but I swear I've done
that successfully in the past.

Thanks!

Matt

Brock Allen

This won't work because the DataBoudn event fires after the control has already
been built from the data source. You want to get a reference to the control
and change its data/properties directly.

Dim l as Label = CType(e.Item.FindControl("EmailControlID"), Label)
l.Text = "hidden";
l.ControlStyle.Font.Italic = true

MattB

Thanks!