Datalist control problem with hyperlink

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by mister-Ed, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. mister-Ed

    mister-Ed Guest

    I am displaying subcategories in my datalist, and now I have a
    bizarre thing happen when I add a new subcategory record in my sql
    database, the new subcategory link does not click into the next page.
    When clicking the link, nothing happens!:

    code to link w/querystrings formatted:
    %#Server.UrlEncode(Request.QueryString("county")) & "&subcat=" &
    Server.UrlEncode((Eval("SubCategory").ToString())) & "&category=" &
    Server.UrlEncode((Eval("Category").ToString())) & "&uregion=" &
    Server.UrlEncode((Eval("uregion").ToString()))%>"><%#
    Eval("SubCategory")%></a>

    url generated for working link:
    http://www.lasvegasunions.info/prov-results1.aspx?county=Clark&subcat...

    a subcat link that i just added, but doesnt work; url generated for
    non-working link:
    http://www.lasvegasunions.info/prov-results1.aspx?county=Clark&subcat...

    when view sourcing in browser, this link works:
    county=Clark&subcat=Maintenance&category=Autos+++++++++++++++++++++++
    +
    +
    +++++&uregion=lv">Maintenance</a>

    view sourcing in browser, this link does not work:
    county=Clark&subcat=Auctions&category=Autos&uregion=lv">Auctions</a>
    ....the link that works has spaces/+ signs in it, but I am stripping
    spaces with Server.UrlEncode (?????)

    ....i tried using asp:hyperlink and NavigateUrl with this, but it was a
    mess with incorrectable "Expected Statement" errors

    TIA
    mr. ed

    mister-Ed, Sep 20, 2007

  2. First of all, when creating your databinding expression, you need to be
    careful with your quotes. Because you are using double-quotes (") to
    surround your entire href, the expression is confused when it sees you using
    double-quotes in the individual pieces as well. To fix this, use
    single-quotes to surround the entire thing instead. Also, I believe you need
    to use the + sign as the concatenation operator when combining individual
    parts in the expression, regardless of you programming language. Have you
    checked to see exactly what is generated when you do the databinding?
    Sometimes looking at what is generated can help, we all make stupid little
    mistakes, even on the simplest tasks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/