Datalist EditItemTemplate

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by SStory, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. SStory

    SStory Guest

    I have VSNET2003.

    I am using a datalist to display Locations that a person is willing to work.

    I designed this in the IDE. Right clicked on edit templates, made entries
    in each using Web Form Controls.

    On the Edit Template I made form like control with various other controls.

    Unfortunately when I click on "Edit" for an item it doesn't work.
    The screen just blanks the datalist out and nothing happens.

    I have been speaking with Microsoft about this, but still am not sure...
    They keep talking about datasets.

    Seems overkill to use a dataset just to get a list of records that will
    seldom be viewed or modified and just for a particular person in a dataset
    and then do all when all I need is a list that can click edit and change and
    ADD to open a separate panel and add a record using SQL commands.

    I have this sort of working but I am confused as to what I have to do and
    what the IDE will do.

    Example.

    Do I need to physically open the HTML code and add the <%#' entries to tie
    to data if using a datareader?
    Do I also have to do the OnEditCommands and such and hard code those in by
    hand?

    If anyone could give me an overview of creating a datalist in the IDE and
    getting it to function using SQL Commands and a datareader I would
    appreciate it.

    Also, if anyone could tell me why I should use datasets on webpages, unless
    they are used to sort and view over and over by the same or many people I
    would appreciate that.

    Thanks in advance,

    Shane
    SStory, Aug 19, 2003