Datalist multiple edit modes for edititemtemplate

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Steve P, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Steve P

    Steve P Guest

    Hi,
    I want to have 2 ways of editing my datalist results:
    1) regular edit (i.e. the literal text is replaces with a textbox when
    "Inline Edit" is clicked
    2) full edit: the fields are displayed in a form layout that is more
    readable when "Full Edit" is clicked

    I have edititemtemplates for both, however, only one is allowed to be used
    per datalist. Also I have extracttemplaterows=true in the datalist in order
    to make it easy to format the datalist table. A method I tried was to place
    2 tables within the edititemtemplate (one for each edit mode), and then in
    the itemdatabound event I would set the appropriate table's visibility based
    on the button clicked. This did not work because all properties of the table
    within the edititemtemplate are discarded on databinding when
    extracttemplaterows=true for the datalist. Is there a way (other than
    setting extracttemplaterows=false) to have multiple edit modes in the way I
    describe? (I know that I could basically "misuse" the selecteditemtemplate
    and make it the second editmode instead, but the problem there is that I also
    want a separate selecteditemtemplate. Your help is appreciated!

    Thank you
    Steve

    Steve P, Mar 14, 2005