DataList's EditCommand event not being raised

Nathan Sokalski

I am attempting to raise the EditCommand event of a DataList when a Button
in the ItemTemplate is clicked. Here is the HTML used for the ItemTemplate:

<ItemTemplate>
<asp:Label id=lblEvent1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
Width="175px" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.eventname")
%>'></asp:Label>
<asp:Label id=lblDescription1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
Width="500px" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.description")
%>'></asp:Label>
<asp:Label id=lblDate1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False" Width="100px"
text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.eventdate","{0:d}")
%>'></asp:Label>
<asp:Label id=lblDetails1 runat="server" EnableViewState="False"
Width="115px" text='<%# DataBinder.Eval(Container,"DataItem.details")
%>'></asp:Label>
<asp:Button id="btnEdit1" runat="server" Width="80px" Font-Bold="True"
CausesValidation="False" Text="Edit Event" CommandName="edit"></asp:Button>
</ItemTemplate>

Here is the event handler used to handle the EditCommand:

Private Sub datEditEvents_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListCommandEventArgs) Handles
datEditEvents.EditCommand

Label1.Text = "You clicked index " & CStr(e.Item.ItemIndex)

datEditEvents.EditItemIndex = e.Item.ItemIndex

Dim events As New DataSet

Dim myconnection As New
OracleConnection(System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings.AppSettings("connectionString"))

Dim cmdselect As New OracleCommand("SELECT * FROM eventlist ORDER BY
eventdate", myconnection)

Dim eventsadapter As New OracleDataAdapter(cmdselect)

eventsadapter.SelectCommand = cmdselect

eventsadapter.Fill(events, "eventlist")

datEditEvents.DataSource = events

datEditEvents.DataBind()

End Sub

Notice that I did include the CommandName="edit" in my Button control and
the Handles clause in my event handler. When I click the button, nothing
happens. I tested this using a Label which you see as the first line in my
event handler. What am I forgetting? Is the CommandName attribute
case-sensitive? Am I using the wrong value? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.