Dataset and HTML

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by A-PK, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. A-PK

    A-PK Guest

    Hi All,

    I am writing a program with Datagrid bind to the dataset.
    and the user allow to filter and do a criteria search on that datagrid.

    so the Datagrid could be display any type of data anytime.( could be order
    information, could be customer information or others - depend of what user
    want)

    my concern is that once the user sees the type of data in Datagrid, and they
    want to export out and convert to HTML format. and save in computer for
    reference purpose. what should I do that ?

    i am able to convert to Excel, text file so far, but having problem with
    HTML.

    Could someone able to assist me on that part.

    what I want is just simply one click button. then the Internet Explorer will
    pop up, and the datagrid data will be shown in a HTML format file in
    Internet Explorer. then the user can choose to save or not save the file.

    Thank you very much
    Regards
    A-PK, Apr 9, 2004

  2. A DataGrid IS HTML. And cross-posting is bad Netiquette.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 9, 2004

  3. You could encapsulate the datagrid in a span and just copy the contents
    of the span to the new window. Ideally I'd recommend having the data in
    an XML form and then have stylesheets work with the data in different
    formats
    HTH

    --
    Regards,
    Dilip Krishnan
    Dilip Krishnan, Apr 9, 2004
  4. A-PK

    Jason Shohet Guest

    Kevin -- er-- MVP -- you like slamming people, but you are short on
    solutions.
    Is that what a 'MVP' is all about? Acting like a know-it-all and
    criticizing anyone who's question you don't approve of. Give this guy a
    decent answer boy.
    And while you're at it boy, give me a decent answer on how an ascx control
    can call a function on the parent that returns a value to the ascx control.
    You accused me of not 'optimizing my time' because I didn't want to spend
    an hour+ sifting thru MSDN to look for an answer, remember?

    I wonder if you're the way you are because you're representing Microsoft....
    :)
    Jason Shohet, Apr 9, 2004
  5. A-PK

    Guest Guest

    Pierce,
    when the datagrid displays in the webpage, it is rendered as html. .NET
    takes the serverside code and converts it to html and javascript. If the
    user goes to 'File, Save' in the browser, the page with the datagrid can be
    saved to a location on the computer. No 'export' function / code is
    necessary. Later, the user can go back to it anytime and view it in IE --
    try it.

    Good luck
    Jason Shohet
    Guest, Apr 9, 2004
  6. I don't "like slamming people." And I certainly DON'T represent Microsoft. I
    gave you the answer: A datagrid IS HTML in the client. Sorry if you're not
    happy about that, but it is simply the truth. And I have answered your other
    question as well. Take a look.

    You missed my point about the other question as well. If you've spent 24
    hours looking for an answer, you certainly have an hour to research your
    issue on MSDN. In fact, the entire .Net SDK is a free download from
    Microsoft. You can download it, install it onyour machine, and use it to
    your heart's content. I use it every day, many times a day. Here's the URL,
    so you don't have to look it up:

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-3647-4070-9F41-A333C6B9181D&displaylang=en

    Note that I didn't accuse you of anything in my replies. But you are
    name-calling now. So, who's slamming whom? I didn't even mention the fact
    that cross-posting is bad Netiquette. It would have helped you out if I had,
    and if you had listened to me. Bad Netiquette will get you LESS help rather
    than more. Offend enough people and you will find yourself out of a
    resource.

    How many people do YOU help a day?

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Apr 9, 2004
  7. A-PK

    A-PK Guest

    hey Tom

    then if i want to click one button and run the HTML file. that the HTML must
    contain the lastest dataset that I just generated, then how should I do.

    A-PK, Apr 15, 2004
  8. A-PK

    Guy Blanc Guest

    A-PK wrote:

    > what I want is just simply one click button. then the Internet Explorer
    > will pop up, and the datagrid data will be shown in a HTML format file in
    > Internet Explorer. then the user can choose to save or not save the file.

    If you were using Linux, you wouldn't have to care about proprietary file
    formats, and just export it to XML which can be read by Open Office Calc.

    --
    W '04 <:> Open
    Guy Blanc, Apr 25, 2004