Dataset filling ListBox

tshad

I have the following code:

UserList.DataSource=theDataSet
UserList.DataTextField= "FirstName" & " " & "LastName"
UserList.DataValueField="UserID"
UserList.databind()

This, of course, doesn't work as you can't use 2 fields from the dataset.

I already have the Sql Combining the Names to FullName and the line now
looks like:

UserList.DataTextField= "FullName"

My question is - is there a way to Databind the text field with multiple
fields?

There are other cases where I want to combine dates and fields that I am
doing in SQL before databinding, but I was curious if there was a way to do
it programmatically (not using a loop, but using databind).

Not a big deal, just curious.

Thanks,

Tom

S. Justin Gengo

Tshad,

A loop is already built into the databind. The event OnItemDatabound is
fired as each item is bound to the list. You can use OnItemDatabound to
break into the loop per item and do things like combine fields there. But
you're much better off combining the fields in SQL since that is more
efficient.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Patirck Ige

Do it in SQL as Justin advice and you can also TRIM it before rendering it.
Patrick

tshad

S. Justin Gengo said:
Tshad,

A loop is already built into the databind. The event OnItemDatabound is
fired as each item is bound to the list. You can use OnItemDatabound to
break into the loop per item and do things like combine fields there. But
you're much better off combining the fields in SQL since that is more
efficient.

I agree.

I was just curious about doing in my program. But as you say much more
efficient on the SQL side.

Thanks,

Tom