Dataset retunring Null ..a guru's opinion required!

Nab

I hope someone could shed some light on this issue. Is this relating to some
“bug†in Visual Basic 2008 or am I doing something wrong here? I have
established a connection to a Microsoft Access database using the GUI
e.g. dragging the OleDbConnection icon on the
toolbox to the design area to establish the connection (i.e. not in code).
This process creates a connection object and an OleDbAdapter object (which I
named estateOleAdapter as you can see in my web service’s code):

<WebMethod()> _
Public Function GetEstateAgents() As DataSet
Dim estateDataset As DataSet = New DataSet
estateOleAdapter.Fill(estateDataset, "EstateAgents")
Return estateDataset
estateOleConnection.Close()
End Function

I also tried
to establish the connection and adapter in code but continue to have the same
problem.

Whenever I try to consume this service (using a web or even a windows
application this exception comes up):

System.ServiceModel.FaultException was unhandled by user code
Message="System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to
process request. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set
to an instance of an object. at
WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents.Service1.GetEstateAgents() in
C:\Hope\modules i teach\web services\handout
exercises\chapter5\WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents\WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents\LiverpoolUKEstateAgents.asmx.vb:line
29 --- End of inner exception stack trace ---"
Source="mscorlib"
StackTrace:
Server stack trace: at
System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime
operation, ProxyRpc& rpc) at
System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean
oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs,
TimeSpan timeout) at
System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean
oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs) at
System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage
methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation) at
System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)
Exception rethrown at [0]: at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage
reqMsg, IMessage retMsg) at
System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData,
Int32 type) at
ClientLiverpoolUKEstateAgents.WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents.Service1Soap.GetEstateAgents()
at
ClientLiverpoolUKEstateAgents.WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents.Service1SoapClient.GetEstateAgents()
in C:\Hope\modules i teach\web services\handout
exercises\chapter5\ClientLiverpoolUKEstateAgents\ClientLiverpoolUKEstateAgents\Service
References\WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents\Reference.vb:line 59 at
ClientLiverpoolUKEstateAgents._Default.form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
in C:\Hope\modules i teach\web services\handout
exercises\chapter5\ClientLiverpoolUKEstateAgents\ClientLiverpoolUKEstateAgents\Default.aspx.vb:line
19 at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) at
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at
System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() at
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint,
Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
InnerException:

This is the code (inserted in a command’s click procedure) that I used to
consume the service:

Dim eaService As New WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents.Service1SoapClient

'Supply the dataset to become the DataGrid's datasource
'dgEstateAgents.DataSource = eaService.GetEstateAgents

dgEstateAgents.DataSource = eaService.GetEstateAgents

'Bind the data to the datagrid by transferring
'it from the dataset to the datagrid

dgEstateAgents.DataBind()

The dgEstateAgents is the name of the datagrid which I created using the
GUI. When adding a reference, I tried “Add Service Reference†and I also
tried “Add Web Referenceâ€, neither worked.

To ensure that my web service is well connected to my Access database, I
would sometimes click on the Data icon on the menu bar and select Preview
Data and then click to populate the dataset. Sometimes this results in the
display of the database’s table. However, when I try to do same thing other
times I get a window that says: "Value cannot be null. Parameter name:
serviceProvider" which leads me to conclude that the dataset is empty. If I
close that web service and relaunch it I don’t get this "Value cannot be
null. Parameter name: serviceProvider" error!!

In either case, my client application halts on this line
dgEstateAgents.DataSource = eaService.GetEstateAgents
every time I try to consume the service and throws the exception listed above.

The operation system I use is Vista (business edition).

When I used VS 2005 in the past I had no such errors and the web service was
consumed without any problems. So, I am really clueless here!

Nab

Thanks Patrice. The estateOleAdapter is created automatically (I renamed it
estateOleAdapter) when the connection was created using the GUI. You're right
to say its "Nothing" as when I debug the client "Nothing" is shown as the
returned value. So, what do you suggest should be done and why did this
problem not surface when I used VB005?
--
UK

Patrice said:
How is estateOleAdapter initialized ?

My guess is that this is Nothing so you have a null reference exception when
you call this web method...

--
Patrice

Nab said:
[...]

tried "Add Web Reference", neither worked.

[...]

I deleted the oleadapter created by the GUI and declared it in code e.g.:
Dim estateOleAdapter As New OleDbDataAdapter

and updated the service reference in the client..but the same exception is
still thrown. Could you possibly test this scenario on your PC (if you have
VS2008)? Remember that the web service is connected to an Access (not SQL
Server) database?
UK

Nab said:
[...]

When I invoke the service i now get this error:

System.InvalidOperationException: Fill: SelectCommand.Connection property
has not been initialized.
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.GetConnection3(DbDataAdapter adapter,
IDbCommand command, String method)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset,
DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable,
IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32
startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
CommandBehavior behavior)
at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable)

I initialised the adapter by doing this:

Dim str As String = "SELECT EstateAgents.*.* FROM EstateAgents"

Dim estateOleAdapter As New OleDbDataAdapter(str, estateOleConnection)

But that didn't help.

I initialised the adapter:

at WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents.Service1.GetEstateAgents() in
C:\Hope\modules i teach\web services\handout
exercises\chapter5\WebServiceLiverpoolUKEstateAgents
-
UK

Nab said:
[...]

It now works but I had to code it this way:

Public Function GetEstateAgents() As DataSet
Dim str As String = "SELECT EstateAgents.* FROM EstateAgents"
Dim strConnString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
Source= C:\Hope\modules i teach\web services\handout
exercises\chapter5\LpoolEstateAgents.mdb"
Dim estateDataset As DataSet = New DataSet
Dim estateOleAdapter As New OleDbDataAdapter(str, strConnString)
estateOleAdapter.Fill(estateDataset, "EstateAgents")
Return estateDataset
estateOleConnection.Close()
End Function

The GUI way of coonecting to an Access database that worked in VB2005 does
not seem to apply to VB2008!
--
UK