DataSet Rows Updated to usp_MyUpdateProc and more q's....

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by JDP@Work, Oct 2, 2004.

  1. JDP@Work

    JDP@Work Guest

    If I have the following on my web form....

    Dataset ->datagrid

    The datagrid has only a select number of columns from the dataset displayed, one
    hidden one is a primary key (pk).

    An additional column on my datagrid is an _EditCommand

    Editext="Edit"
    UpdateText="Update"
    CancelText="Cancel"

    So the user is able to select "Edit" calling _EditCommand which enables the
    column indexed item to be edited.

    It also changes the prompt from Edit to "Update" and adds the option "Cancel"

    When Edit is selected, the field is now editable (correct me if I'm wrong) based
    on a relative index for the selected row w/in the dataset(?)

    When the Update is selected.....

    How do I get the values from the edited field and my pk to the sProc to update
    the database?

    Also, if that can be done, can I NOT refresh the dataset / datagrid?

    What I'd like to happen is that if the return code is successful, then I know
    that the database is updated and to leave my new values in the field.

    As the user scrolls thru the list updating selected rows, updating the only
    status field, I would like to print just those rows that were updated using a
    template, without a round trip to the server!

    So, how do I identify those records, (they will have a value in status field,
    whereas any untouched record will not) to offer:

    ^Print
    >Updated Records
    >All Records

    Can I query my dataset, say...

    select mylist o' columns from myDs where status is not null

    Or create a new dataset and pass only those rows with a status? How?

    Thank you in advance, AND above all if there is an easier way please suggest a
    Google or provide links.

    JeffP......
    JDP@Work, Oct 2, 2004