Datastructures

cj

Hello, can you please help me find information or can you please explain in
this newsgroup the differences about various datastructures (in terms of
efficiency, best applications, best implementations, etc.), such as trees,
hashtables, linked lists, etc.

Thank you.
C++J

Rufus V. Smith

cj said:
Hello, can you please help me find information or can you please explain in
this newsgroup the differences about various datastructures (in terms of
efficiency, best applications, best implementations, etc.), such as trees,
hashtables, linked lists, etc.

Thank you.
C++J

You'll have better luck in

alt.comp.do.my.homework

cj

Karl, I wasn't looking for a text from a book, but rather for a digest of
main points, sort of "table of comparison".
Thank you,

C++J

Karl Heinz Buchegger

cj said:
Hello, can you please help me find information or can you please explain in
this newsgroup the differences about various datastructures (in terms of
efficiency, best applications, best implementations, etc.), such as trees,
hashtables, linked lists, etc.

There have entire books been written on this topic.
Don't expect someone to retype all that is written
in this books.

http://www.google.com
Search phrase: "data structures C++"

-> thousends of links. Choose some of them

Karl Heinz Buchegger

cj said:
Karl, I wasn't looking for a text from a book, but rather for a digest of
main points, sort of "table of comparison".

What is hindering you?
Open your textbook on data structures (or lend one from the
local library) and do that table.

cj

Thank you, Karl. I will certainly do that as well.
Just wanted to get some input from skilled people as well.

cj

Thank you, Tom.

Thomas Matthews said:
Most data structures are language independent, and best discussed
in A good book on data structures will contain
the information you seek. Nobody should reinvent the wheel nor should
anybody post here what you can find in many text books.

Try these:
The Art Of Computer Programming Donald Knuth
Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs Niklaus Wirth
The Standard C++ Library Josuttis
Design Patterns Gamma, Helm Johns, Vlissides

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Thomas Matthews

Thomas said:
Most data structures are language independent, and best discussed
in A good book on data structures will contain
the information you seek. Nobody should reinvent the wheel nor should
anybody post here what you can find in many text books.

Try these:
The Art Of Computer Programming Donald Knuth
Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs Niklaus Wirth
The Standard C++ Library Josuttis
Design Patterns Gamma, Helm Johns, Vlissides

Algorithms R. Sedgewick

Thomas Matthews

cj said:
Thank you, Karl. I will certainly do that as well.
Just wanted to get some input from skilled people as well.
1. Don't top-post, rearranged.
Replies are appended to the bottom or interspersed throughout
the reply.

2. Good quality books on data structures will have a table
of comparison, stating what the structure is used for and
how it relates to close siblings. For example, a linked
list, array, stack and vector are all containers and close
siblings. Each is more efficient than the others at specific
tasks. However, sets, maps, associative arrays, and trees
are different than the above and should not be compared with
them.

3. When referring to data types, please do not abbreviate. Some
posters use BST for Binary Search Tree, and my personal peeve,
"ADT" for abstract data type.

Here are a few names of common data structures:
container, collection, sequence, singly linked list, doubly linked
list, table, hash table, vector, array, map, set, bag, skip list,
binary tree, b-tree, trie, tree, avl tree, red/black tree,
graph, edge list, bucket, stack, queue, deque, circular queue
or ring buffer, buffer, double-buffer, string, and database.
There are also custom hybrids containing two or more of the above
structures.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Ioannis Vranos

cj said:
Hello, can you please help me find information or can you please explain in
this newsgroup the differences about various datastructures (in terms of
efficiency, best applications, best implementations, etc.), such as trees,
hashtables, linked lists, etc.

In "The C++ Programming Language" 3rd Edition or Special Edition by
Bjarne Stroustrup (the creator of C++), on page 464, there is a table
that summarises the efficiencies of the various standard library containers.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos