dataware house typical file formats and extraction api? vs java capabilities

Discussion in 'Java' started by NOBODY, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. NOBODY

    NOBODY Guest

    Hi,

    In each of the following questions, I'm looking not only for things that
    exists but things that are preferred by data warehouse users.

    1-what is the usual approach to download data from a source like a data
    warehouse?
    -zip?
    -tgz?
    -gz?
    -other compression/tar/jar/lha?

    2-same question as above but when the source is known to be a java service?

    3-what medium is preferred
    -http request to a frontend (in my case a java exporting servlet)?
    -ftp/tftp?
    -scp?
    -nfs/samba?

    4-same question as above but when the source is known to be a java service?

    5-what kind of export parameterization and conveniences do they offer?
    -dumb flat listing and pull?
    -time ranges and basic selection?
    -extensive querying?
    -stateful sessions, for example with cursors to continue where the
    downloader left?

    Thanks.

    NOBODY, Feb 25, 2006

  2. NOBODY

    Tajonis Guest

    First of all a Data Warehouse is a specialized database for storing
    large,large amounts of data. These database are built in a specialized
    schema (i.e. star, snowflake, etc) that is designed for reporting.

    1-what is the usual approach to download data from a source like a data

    warehouse?

    A data warehouse is built around existing data found with in another
    database so
    "downloading" data from a "source" like a data warehouse should not be
    done. You should look at extracting the data from its original source
    and not the data warehouse. If you must go against the data warehouse
    then look into a nice OLAP tool.

    2-same question as above but when the source is known to be a java
    service?
    Retrieving data from a java service should be dependent on the need at
    hand. If the the data that is intended for "download" is not text the I
    would recommend a TAR or ZIP format.

    3-what medium is preferred
    ?What
    You users should determine the medium

    4-same question as above but when the source is known to be a java
    service?
    Same answer as above.

    Tajonis, Feb 25, 2006

  3. NOBODY

    NOBODY Guest

    Reformulated:

    What is the usual approach to gather data from sources?
    I'm looking for what techniques typical data warehouses like to use for
    pulling data.

    What medium is preferred (http, scp, ftp, etc...)

    What kind of export parameterization and conveniences do they expect?

    Thanks.

    NOBODY, Feb 25, 2006