Date entry on web form?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Noozer, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    Target browser is IE on an Intranet...

    What is the best/simplest way to implement date input on a form?
    - Separate text inputs for year, month, day? (Good change you'll get bad
    data)
    - Single text input for full date? (What format will user enter? Difficult
    to parse)
    - Select/Option for year, month, day? (Only valid entries happen, but it's
    ugly - My current choice)
    - Some kind of calendar picker control? (Would be my choice is there was
    some standard way to do this)

    Bascially, I'm building a Search form with a fair number of options for the
    user to choose from. One is a date range and I'm having problems making is
    simple to use.

    Thx

    Noozer, Jan 24, 2005

  2. In article <tUaJd.159820$8l.31941@pd7tw1no>, says...
    > Target browser is IE on an Intranet...
    >
    > What is the best/simplest way to implement date input on a form?
    > - Separate text inputs for year, month, day? (Good change you'll get bad
    > data)
    > - Single text input for full date? (What format will user enter? Difficult
    > to parse)
    > - Select/Option for year, month, day? (Only valid entries happen, but it's
    > ugly - My current choice)
    > - Some kind of calendar picker control? (Would be my choice is there was
    > some standard way to do this)
    >
    > Bascially, I'm building a Search form with a fair number of options for the
    > user to choose from. One is a date range and I'm having problems making is
    > simple to use.

    IMO, a single text input for the full date, with a picture next to it
    (dd.mm.yyyy, for example), and validation on the field.

    There are calendar pickers out there, but I find it quicker to enter a
    date than use them. How about both?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.

    Hywel Jenkins, Jan 24, 2005

  3. "Noozer" <> wrote:

    > Target browser is IE on an Intranet...

    So you intend to rewrite the pages when some big boss realized that IE is
    a security threat and commands everyone to use Firebird, for example?

    It's generally a good idea to avoid assuming things you don't need to
    assume. In HTML design, this means designing for any browser, unless you
    are forced to do otherwise.

    > What is the best/simplest way to implement date input on a form?

    A text input field, preceded by an explanation that describes the accepted
    date format(s), and naturally server-side code to check for acceptability
    and to convert to an internal standardized format.

    > - Separate text inputs for year, month, day? (Good change you'll get
    > bad data)

    Too clumsy. Think about it: how do people write dates on paper?
    This would be more complicated.
    (Good chance you'll fail to realize that the server-side form handler needs
    to be prepared to anything, anyway.)

    > - Single text input for full date?

    Right.

    > (What format will user enter?

    One that you tell him to use.

    > Difficult to parse)

    Not really. And it's the author's job to handle such things. The user
    comfort should be maximized, not the author's.

    > - Select/Option for year, month, day? (Only valid entries happen, but
    > it's
    > ugly - My current choice)

    Even more clumsy. (Think about a user who needs to listen to the first 30
    integers before he gets to the 31st, when that's the day we have. In
    graphic browsers, the select menus are just clumsy. Ugly too, perhaps, but
    who cares? This isn't really a beauty contest any more than paper forms
    are.)

    > - Some kind of calendar picker control? (Would be my choice is there
    > was some standard way to do this)

    In most cases, too clumsy with no tangible benefit.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 24, 2005
  4. Noozer

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Noozer wrote:

    > Bascially, I'm building a Search form with a fair number of options for the
    > user to choose from. One is a date range and I'm having problems making is
    > simple to use.

    I recently needed to include a date field in a form, and chose to go for a
    free-form text field (plus an indication of the expected date format -
    dd/mm/yyyy) plus a javascript (I know!) popup (I know!) calendar.

    The server-side script then converts it to an internal yyyymmdd format
    which it can use for its own devious purposes.

    This seems to work well -- nobody has had problems entering the date.

    I used (but heavily modified) this script:
    http://javascript.internet.com/calendars/popup-date-picker.html

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jan 27, 2005