Date in database

fniles

On my machine in the office I change the computer setting to English (UK) so
the date format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy for US.
This problem happens in either Access or SQL Server.
In the database I have a table with Date/time column. The database is
located on a machine that is set to dd/mm/yyyy also.
When I enter date 7/1/08 (as in January 7, 2008), it stores it in the
database as 1/7/08 instead of 7/1/08. Why is it like that and how can I make
the database stores it as 7/1/08 ?
Thank you.

Saga

You can set the regional date format to anything you like, but when using SQLs to
insert or update data, you must use the yyyy-mm-dd format for SQL Server or the
mm/dd/yyyy format for Access.

If using the Addnew method then assigning the date value to the field, you must use
a date variable type:

dim strDate as string

strDate = date

open recordset "rs"

rs.addnew
rs!DateField = strDate
rs.update

The above wont work!!! (for any date format other than mm/dd/yyyy)

Change it to this:

dim dteDate as date

dteDate = date

open recordset "rs"

rs.addnew
rs!DateField = dteDate
rs.update

This example is so trivial, that you can assign Date directly, but when using
calculated dates the variable will most likely be needed.

To build an SQL with a date:

sSQL = "insert into MyTable (Mydate) values ("
sSQL = sSQL & "'" & format$(date, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "')"

For Access change that to:

sSQL = sSQL & "'" & format$(date, "mm/dd/yyyy") & "')"

HTH Saga

Douglas J. Steele

Access will work fine with yyyy-mm-dd as well. However, you need to delimit
the dates with # characters in Access, not single quotes.

Saga

Thanks for catching that :) I neglected to swap out the quotes for the # char.

Noted on the yyyy-mm-dd format for Access.

Saga

MikeD

fniles said:
On my machine in the office I change the computer setting to English (UK)
so the date format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy for US.
This problem happens in either Access or SQL Server.
In the database I have a table with Date/time column. The database is
located on a machine that is set to dd/mm/yyyy also.
When I enter date 7/1/08 (as in January 7, 2008), it stores it in the
database as 1/7/08 instead of 7/1/08. Why is it like that and how can I
make the database stores it as 7/1/08 ?

If the data type of the column is truly one of the various "date" data
types, the format of the date is irrelevant. Don't worry about it.

However, if the data type is actually text or characters, then you've got a
huge problem.

fiefie.niles

Thank you everybody.
It turns out that in VB it works fine, but it does not work in ASP.
The data type of the column is truly a "date/time" column in Access
and "Datetime" column in SQL Server.

I do need the date to be stored in the correct format in the database,
because in my ASP program I do the following:
sDay = day(d)
sMonth = month(d)
sYear = year(d)
If it is not stored correctly in the database, the above functions do
not return the correct values.

It seems to work when I do the following (it stores 8/1/08 in the
database)
ssql = "update myTBL set colDate = format('8/1/08','dd/mm/yy') where
ID = 1"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.ActiveConnection = dbConnection
rs.open ssql

But when I do the following, it stores 1/8/08 in the database:
ssql = "select * from myTBL where ID = 1"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.ActiveConnection = dbConnection
rs.CursorType = adOpenKeyset
rs.LockType = adLockOptimistic
rs.Source = sSql
rs.Open
rs("colDate") = cdate(#8/1/08#) '--> got the same result when i do
rs("colDate") = cdate("8/1/08")
rs.Update
rs.close
set rs = nothing

I could use the "update" command on the 1st method, but I would like
to use the 2nd method if possible. Is it possible to make the 2nd
method above work ?
Thank you.

SMussler

I do need the date to be stored in the correct format in the database,

The database has it's own way of storing dates - typically in a Julian
value.
How you want to display it is done via formating.

Take a look at this link:
http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/dev/datetime_datatype_p1.aspx

I myself work mainly with Oracle, which I think does something similar and
occasionally with Access.

Not sure about Access, but a google search could get you the details I'm
sure.
But what the Database engine itself is storing is irrelevant.
What's important is getting the data entered properly and displayed as
needed.

Steve Mussler

Saga

Inline

Saga

--

Thank you everybody.
It turns out that in VB it works fine, but it does not work in ASP.
The data type of the column is truly a "date/time" column in Access
and "Datetime" column in SQL Server.

I do need the date to be stored in the correct format in the database,
because in my ASP program I do the following:
sDay = day(d)
sMonth = month(d)
sYear = year(d)
If it is not stored correctly in the database, the above functions do
not return the correct values.

It seems to work when I do the following (it stores 8/1/08 in the
database)
ssql = "update myTBL set colDate = format('8/1/08','dd/mm/yy') where
ID = 1"

***Reply***
That format statement just does not look right. Use 4 digits for year
and yyyy-mm-dd format. Using dd/mm/yy will cause problems.
***

Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.ActiveConnection = dbConnection
rs.open ssql

But when I do the following, it stores 1/8/08 in the database:
ssql = "select * from myTBL where ID = 1"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.ActiveConnection = dbConnection
rs.CursorType = adOpenKeyset
rs.LockType = adLockOptimistic
rs.Source = sSql
rs.Open
rs("colDate") = cdate(#8/1/08#)
'--> got the same result when i do rs("colDate") = cdate("8/1/08")

***Reply***
When specifying a literal date (#8/1/08#) VB always expects mm/dd/yyyy
format. So the above will be interpreted as Aug 1st, 2008. The CDate(##)
statement above is useless since you are in effect converting a date into
a date.

On the other hand, cdate("8/1/08") is converting the string "8/1/08"into a
date which is a step in the right direction, but it is still not 100% "safe":

"CDate recognizes date formats according to the locale setting of your
system." - MSDN Library

I did the following in the immediate window:

? cdate("8/1/08")
08/01/2008 (2nd) 8th of Jan
8/1/2008 (1st) Aug 1st

I set my regional settings to English US for the 1st try. I then set the
regional settings to English UK for the 2nd test. Note how the "same" date
was displayed, but is intepreted differently depending on locale. Best to stay
away from having dates in strings and using these to update tables or do
further date calculations where the month and day could be ambiguous.

I did another test (in the immediate wndow):

? #8/1/2008#
8/1/2008 US setting Aug 1st 2008
01/08/2008 UK setting 1st of Aug 2008 Same date!!!

Note how the above literal is interpreted as the same date but when displayed
it is done using the correct locale format. As mentioned before, when the #
char is used to specify a date literal it is always interpreted as mm/dd/yyyy.
***

rs.Update
rs.close
set rs = nothing

I could use the "update" command on the 1st method, but I would like
to use the 2nd method if possible. Is it possible to make the 2nd
method above work ?
Thank you.

***PS: I have no idea why the OP's text was not indented with the ">"
char. It seems to have been only for this message.

Dooza

fniles said:
On my machine in the office I change the computer setting to English (UK) so
the date format is dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy for US.
This problem happens in either Access or SQL Server.
In the database I have a table with Date/time column. The database is
located on a machine that is set to dd/mm/yyyy also.
When I enter date 7/1/08 (as in January 7, 2008), it stores it in the
database as 1/7/08 instead of 7/1/08. Why is it like that and how can I make
the database stores it as 7/1/08 ?
Thank you.

Would setting the locale help?
Not sure if your using VBScript, but here is something about it:
http://www.w3schools.com/vbscript/func_setlocale.asp

Steve

Saga

Although setting the locale via VB6 code -could- be a potential "fix", I humbly
advice against it as it might make more enemies than friends. One's app
should adapt the locale setting, NOT the locale setting to the app.

Saga

fiefie.niles

Thank you everyone.

So, both the client machine and the server where the ASP is running
and where the database is located are set to UK setting. I inserted
Jan 8, 08 (8/1/08) to the database, and after retrieving the value
back from the database, I use the functions Day and Month, and they
return wrong day and month.

ssql = "select * from myTBL where ID = 1"
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.ActiveConnection = dbConnection
rs.CursorType = adOpenKeyset
rs.LockType = adLockOptimistic
rs.Source = sSql
rs.Open
rs("colDate") = cdate("8/1/08")
rs.update
:
ssql = "select * from myTBL where ID = 1"
Set rs2 = dbConnection.Execute(sSQL)
if not (rs2.EOF) then
date3 = rs2("DATA_DATE")
sDay = day(date3) -->>>> RETURNS 1, where it suppose to
return 8
sMonth = month(date3) ->>>> RETURNS 8 (August), where it
suppose to return 1 (January)
end if

Anthony Jones

[...]

<<

Did you try this:-

Dim dat : dat = CDate("8/1/08")

Response.Write Day(dat) & "<br />"
Response.Write Month(dat)

What happens? As has been pointed out at least twice in this thread already
the locale does not impact a date value, it only impacts the conversion to
and from a string.

However Locales in ASP can be tricky. Locale settings are configured at the
user level. Assuming you're only accessing the website as an anonymous
user, the user's locale settings you would be interested in would be the
IUSR_<machinename>. Since this user is unlikely to have a profile on the
machine the DEFAULT user profile will be used to find the locale settings.
Once the locale settings are loaded they are cached by IIS.

Hence it is possible to make 'changes' to the locale but not affect the
settings in the DEFAULT profile which would have initially been set when the
OS was installed. Its a common problem in the UK where Windows has been
installed with the default US settings. What OS is the web site installed
on?

Personally I would avoid the xx/xx/[xx]xx format altogether. I tend to use
01 Jan 2008 style. This is acceptable to a human and is parsable by
VB(Script), Javascript and SQL Server (I would guess Access would have no
problem with it either).

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Please. Stop trying to force a particular format when inserting data into
databases. Databases do not store format. They store numeric
recpresentations of dates. Access stores date/times as Doubles, with the
whole number portion representing the number of days since the seed date and
the decimal portion representing the time (.0 = midnight, .5 = noon). SQL
Server stores datetimes as paired integers, with the first integer
containing the number of days since the seed date, and the second containing
the number of milliseconds since midnight.

You must remember that ASP (IIS) is not running under your user account, so
just because _you_ have your regional settings set to UK, that does not mean
the account that IIS is using has that setting, which defaults to US.

Instead of cdate("8/1/08"), I suggest you use dateserial(2008,1,8).

Explicitly format the dates you retrieve from the database instead of
depending on the operating system to do it for you. If you want to make sure
dates are displayed in UK format, use the Year(), Day() and Month()
functions to build a string containing the correct format which you display
to your users.

Also, instead of using a recordset to maintain data, I suggest using a
parameterized sql statement so you do not need to worry about delimiters. In
vbscript, this would look like:

ssql = "update table set coldate=? where ID = 1"
dim cmd, arParms
arParms = array(dateserial(2008,1,8))
set cmd=createobject("adodb.command")
set cmd.activeconnection = dbConnection
cmd.commandetype = 1 'adCmdText
cmd.commandtext = ssql
cmd.execute ,arParms,128 'adExecuteNoRecords

This should work regardless of the backend database.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Anthony said:
Personally I would avoid the xx/xx/[xx]xx format altogether. I tend
to use 01 Jan 2008 style. This is acceptable to a human and is
parsable by VB(Script), Javascript and SQL Server (I would guess
Access would have no problem with it either).

Actually, it would. Date literals in JetSQL must be passed in US format, or
ISO. Also, a SQL Server instance with French settings would also have a
problem with it.

Bob Butler

So, both the client machine and the server where the ASP is running
and where the database is located are set to UK setting. I inserted
Jan 8, 08 (8/1/08) to the database, and after retrieving the value
back from the database, I use the functions Day and Month, and they
return wrong day and month.
rs("colDate") = cdate("8/1/08")

Even if you are sure that the date formats are all UK you should avod
string-to-date conversions. Use #1/8/2008# or DateSerial(2008,1,8)

I also always recommend not using the default names so:
rs.fields("colDate").Value=#1/8/2008#
if not (rs2.EOF) then
date3 = rs2("DATA_DATE")

Why are you setting "colDate" and retrieving "DATA_DATE"?

Anthony Jones

Bob Barrows said:
Anthony said:
Personally I would avoid the xx/xx/[xx]xx format altogether. I tend
to use 01 Jan 2008 style. This is acceptable to a human and is
parsable by VB(Script), Javascript and SQL Server (I would guess
Access would have no problem with it either).

Actually, it would. Date literals in JetSQL must be passed in US format, or
ISO. Also, a SQL Server instance with French settings would also have a
problem with it.

I haven't worked with Jet in such a long time I forget how limited it is.
And yes my preference for dd mmm yyyy doesn't work internationally. :(

Unfortunately Javascript doesn't parse an ISO date and the current
implementations of XSL don't know what a date is. For me then dd mmm yyyy
is a very compelling compromise.

Evertjan.

Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Even if you are sure that the date formats are all UK you should avod
string-to-date conversions. Use #1/8/2008#

The first of august?

Please no, use:

#2008/1/8#

Bob Butler

Evertjan. said:
Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in

The first of august?

No, the # format is always #mm/dd/yyyy# so it is consistent regardless of
your locale
Please no, use:

#2008/1/8#

Enter this in VB and press enter:
d=#2008/1/8#

Evertjan.

Bob Butler wrote on 10 jan 2008 in
No, the # format is always #mm/dd/yyyy# so it is consistent regardless
of your locale

Enter this in VB and press enter:
d=#2008/1/8#

Why?

This NG is not about VB.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Bob said:
No, the # format is always #mm/dd/yyyy# so it is consistent
regardless of your locale

Enter this in VB and press enter:
d=#2008/1/8#

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. I entered this:

?#2000/8/1#

into the Immediate window in VB, pressed enter and it displayed:

8/1/2000

Were you trying to say that VB would reject that format?

PS. newsgroups added back in to the crosspost - not sure why they were
removed