Date Insert puzzle :: 05/23/76 becomes 12: 12:13

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by jason, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. jason

    jason Guest

    I'm tearing out my hair here: ACCESS 2000:

    When I attempt to overwrite a date in my date field with a new user selected
    valid date eg: 05/23/99
    my date field changes to the TIME I updated the field
    and does not display my desired date: 05/23/99

    Instead it reads: 12:12:03 AM

    I am going nuts - even considering converting the field to text. The field
    is a SHORT DATE

    Here is my sql statement:

    ChangeDate = request.form.item("ChangeDate") '// 05/23/76

    UpdateSQL = "UPDATE tblListingspriceChanges SET NewPrice =" & NewPrice & ",
    ChangeDate =" & ChangeDate & " WHERE PriceChangeID =" & PriceChangeID
    'Response.end cnn.Execute(UpdateSQL)

    Here is the result:

    UPDATE tblListingspriceChanges SET NewPrice =20002, ChangeDate =05/23/76
    WHERE PriceChangeID =28

    Here is what ChangeDate Field looks like in Access:

    12:04:07 AM

    - I have even tried Cdate(ChangeDate) but this appears to make no
    difference.

    - Jason
    jason, Sep 1, 2003

  2. jason

    Alan Guest

    Can't say if this is the cause for sure - I haven't used Access in ages, but
    your dates should be delimited with #'s. Try that to see if it makes a
    difference.

    Alan

    "jason" <> wrote in message
    > I'm tearing out my hair here: ACCESS 2000:
    >
    > When I attempt to overwrite a date in my date field with a new user

    selected
    > valid date eg: 05/23/99
    > my date field changes to the TIME I updated the field
    > and does not display my desired date: 05/23/99
    >
    > Instead it reads: 12:12:03 AM
    >
    > I am going nuts - even considering converting the field to text. The field
    > is a SHORT DATE
    >
    > Here is my sql statement:
    >
    > ChangeDate = request.form.item("ChangeDate") '// 05/23/76
    >
    > UpdateSQL = "UPDATE tblListingspriceChanges SET NewPrice =" & NewPrice &

    ",

    Alan, Sep 1, 2003

  3. jason

    dlbjr Guest

    Try this

    UpdateSQL = "UPDATE tblListingspriceChanges SET NewPrice =" & NewPrice & ",
    ChangeDate =#" & ChangeDate & "# WHERE PriceChangeID=" & PriceChangeID

    dlbjr

    Unambit from meager knowledge of inane others,
    engender uncharted sagacity.
    dlbjr, Sep 1, 2003
  4. jason

    jason Guest

    Man, I don't know: I tried doing this:
    ChangeDate="#" & ChangeDate & "#"
    ....but then this generates a syntax error. There has got to be simple way to
    insert a date into the date field of Access....

    - Jason

    jason, Sep 2, 2003
  5. jason

    jason Guest

    No, that still does not work - no error - but this is what it puts in my
    changeDate field:

    8:00:00 PM

    Unbelievable.

    jason, Sep 2, 2003
  6. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    What do you get when you do this:
    Response.Write UpdateSQL

    Bob Barrows, Sep 2, 2003
  7. jason

    jason Guest

    jason, Sep 2, 2003
  8. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Well, that SHOULD work, assuming that you want to set the field to
    26-May-1976 ...
    You say that this results in 8:00:00 PM ...?
    What if you open Access and use the Query builder to run this statement?

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Sep 2, 2003
  9. jason

    jason Guest

    If I run the query in Access it results in: 05/26/71.

    I just cannot figure this out.

    - Jason

    jason, Sep 2, 2003
  10. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Something is definitely strange. "05/23/76" becomes "05/26/71"?!?
    ChangeDate IS a Date/Time field isn't it?

    Bob

    Bob Barrows, Sep 2, 2003
  11. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    I can't reproduce this symptom. When I use UPDATE, the new date gets put
    into the field.

    I'm intrigued. Can you export the table to a new database and send it to me
    offline along with the code you're attempting to use to update it? I'll try
    and take a look at it by tonight.

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Barrows, Sep 2, 2003
  12. jason

    jason Guest

    Hi Bob - sure - you can I send you a link to download from your email
    address rather than posting here?

    Further as an aside: I just tried again and I noticed something very
    strange:

    UPDATE tblListingspriceChanges SET NewPrice =20002, ChangeDate =05/23/99
    WHERE PriceChangeID =28

    ....Produced the following in the field called ChangeDate: 12/30/1899

    But

    When I click in the field it suddenly changes to time: 12:03:10 AM

    AND

    When I go to another field it reverts back to: 12/30/1899

    It must have something to do with the format of the Date/Time field which is
    currently set to Short Date. I have fooled around with changing options but
    this does not make a difference.

    jason, Sep 2, 2003
  13. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    jason wrote:
    > Hi Bob - sure - you can I send you a link to download from your email
    > address rather than posting here?
    >
    > Further as an aside: I just tried again and I noticed something very
    > strange:
    >
    > UPDATE tblListingspriceChanges SET NewPrice =20002, ChangeDate
    > =05/23/99 WHERE PriceChangeID =28
    >
    > ...Produced the following in the field called ChangeDate: 12/30/1899

    This is because you failed to put the date delimiters around the date. The
    statement should be:
    .... =#05/23/99# WHERE PriceChangeID =28

    Without the delimiters, Jet treats it as a numeric expression. The two
    divisions result in a very small fractional number. This where you need to
    realize that Jet stores dates as numbers of type Double. The whole number
    portion of the number represents the number of days since the seed date:
    12/30/1899. The decimal portion represents the time of day, with .5
    equalling noon. The result of 5/23/99 is 0.0022. When interpreted as a
    date/time, this is equivalent to 12/30/1899 00:05:16. Does this make it any
    clearer?

    Bob Barrows
    Bob Barrows, Sep 2, 2003
  14. jason

    jason Guest

    Ok Ray - I got it - sorry If I was slow off the mark - got really tired and
    error prone.

    One more thing, I would like to bring up. One of my queries extracts the
    latest price reductions by date and displays it in browser and it works
    great! But,

    I notice that if the user posts multiple price reductions on the same day
    for the same boat it results in duplication of records. Now, in all
    likelihood this would never happen. But, I supsect a solution to my problem
    would be to store the TIME after the DATE:

    05/23/71 8.002 pm ...which would always keep my records in the query unique.
    Is this small/date time and if so what is the correct format inside Access
    for the date/time field. Also, will it affect existing queries, updates or
    inserts etc if I switch to storing date values like this?

    Appreciated
    Jason

    jason, Sep 2, 2003
  15. jason

    jason Guest

    Ok - how would append the time to the end of my user defined date in Access.
    Would I need to do string manipulation on:
    Now() which produces: 9/2/2003 12:38:31 PM

    to get: 12:38:31

    And add it to my user defined date eg: 05/23/71 (I am following the sequence
    Access gives me: month, day, year)

    To get:

    #05/23/71 12:38:31#

    ?

    Thanks
    jason

    > jason wrote:
    > > Ok Ray - I got it - sorry If I was slow off the mark - got really
    > > tired and error prone.

    > Ray?? Well I never ... ;-)
    >

    > > One more thing, I would like to bring up. One of my queries extracts
    > > the latest price reductions by date and displays it in browser and it
    > > works great! But,
    > >
    > > I notice that if the user posts multiple price reductions on the same
    > > day for the same boat it results in duplication of records. Now, in
    > > all likelihood this would never happen. But, I supsect a solution to
    > > my problem would be to store the TIME after the DATE:
    > >
    > > 05/23/71 8.002 pm ...which would always keep my records in the query
    > > unique. Is this small/date time and if so what is the correct format
    > > inside Access for the date/time field. Also, will it affect existing
    > > queries, updates or inserts etc if I switch to storing date values
    > > like this?
    > >

    > Again, Access date/time fields know nothing about format. Datetimes are
    > stored as Doubles. Both time and date are always stored: if you don't

    supply

    jason, Sep 2, 2003
  16. jason

    Bob Barrows Guest

    jason wrote:
    > Ok - how would append the time to the end of my user defined date in
    > Access. Would I need to do string manipulation on:
    > Now() which produces: 9/2/2003 12:38:31 PM
    >
    > to get: 12:38:31
    >
    > And add it to my user defined date eg: 05/23/71 (I am following the
    > sequence Access gives me: month, day, year)
    >
    > To get:
    >
    > #05/23/71 12:38:31#
    >
    > ?

    Sure! That would work.Although, instead of string manipulation, you can use
    FormatDateTime to extract the Short Time:

    dim d
    dim d d= cdate("5/23/71")
    d= d + cdate(FormatDateTime(now,vbShortTime))
    Response.Write d

    HTH,
    Bob Barrows
    Bob Barrows, Sep 2, 2003
  17. jason

    jason Guest

    Works like a dream thanks - amazing what one can learn in the matter of 48
    hours!

    :)
    Jason

    jason, Sep 2, 2003