Date last Accessed vs Date Modified

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Feb 21, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I noticed that in Vista the file Date Last Modified can be more recent
    than the Date List Accessed. Running a ChkDsk does not fix it. Is
    there something that does? I have a JNI class to get/set the various
    Windows file dates, but I thought this should be something that
    happens automatically.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    http://mindprod.com

    Roedy Green, Feb 21, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    > I noticed that in Vista the file Date Last Modified can be more recent
    > than the Date List Accessed. Running a ChkDsk does not fix it. Is
    > there something that does? I have a JNI class to get/set the various
    > Windows file dates, but I thought this should be something that
    > happens automatically.

    This would be a Windows problem.

    Before you can get a fix for this "problem", you first have to get Microsoft to
    acknowledge that it is a problem, and not a feature.

    GMBYF. This was the first hit I got when searching:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...disabling-last-access-updating-in-windows-xp/

    Maybe you can apply the registry tweak in reverse, if you want to slow down the
    system. Don't forget that all the directory indexing which Vista performs on
    your behalf will require setting the file last access date, which will require
    re-writing the filesystem header blocks for every file in the filesystem every
    time it runs. I'd go make that coffee now.

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

    Nigel Wade, Feb 22, 2008