Date object from server

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ike, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Is there a way to obtaiun a date object from a server in an applet (I want
    it to meake certain the user's clock on their local machine isn't set to a
    date more than 24 hours away from this). Thanks, Ike

    Ike, Jun 25, 2004

  2. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:16:54 GMT, Ike wrote:

    > Is there a way to obtaiun a date object from a server in an applet ..

    yes

    <http://mindprod.com/jgloss/atomiclock.html#ATOMICCLOCK>

    > Thanks, Ike

    No worries,..

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Ike

    Ike Guest

    Yes Andrew, but I believe this is Windows-dependent (uses JNI down under the
    hood). Thanks anyhow though -Ike

    Ike, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Ike

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:16:54 GMT, "Ike" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Is there a way to obtaiun a date object from a server in an applet (I want
    >it to meake certain the user's clock on their local machine isn't set to a
    >date more than 24 hours away from this). Thanks, Ike

    Have a look at http://mindprod.com/jgloss/setclock.html

    It is overkill for what you want to do using atomic clocks.

    If you can run a servlet on the server, it is trivial. Just return a
    long timestamp.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 25, 2004
  5. Ike

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:56:28 GMT, "Ike" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Yes Andrew, but I believe this is Windows-dependent (uses JNI down under the
    >hood). Thanks anyhow though -Ike

    SetClock does use JNI to SET the user's clock, but it uses only
    vanilla Java to find out the precise time.

    It is quite a production. You might canibalise just the part that
    sends a datagram to a time server and gets one back.

    11,265 pcclock.jar -- native DLL for setting the clock
    20,539 setclock.jar -- Java for getting the time and displaying it a
    running display.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Jun 25, 2004