Datetyp for text

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ray at, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Ray at

    Ray at Guest

    For apostrophes, see here. http://www.aspfaq.com/2035
    For your odd characters, I believe if you change your datatype from varchar
    to nvarchar (or from whatever to nwhatever), you can insert those
    characters.

    Ray at work

    "Arun Wadhawan" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I would like to insert from a Form text to SQL Table. It works fine,

    but
    > only with special signs like apostroph, german signs it doesn't work. The
    > error message is each time :
    >

    > Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax

    near

    Arun Wadhawan, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Ray at

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Arun Wadhawan wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I would like to insert from a Form text to SQL Table. It works
    > fine, but only with special signs like apostroph, german signs it
    > doesn't work. The error message is each time :
    >

    > Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect
    > syntax near ' >>( speacial sign ) >>
    >

    > How can I manage this generally, I would also need to insert some
    > kyrillic letters over this form to the SQL Table.
    >
    > Can I change the Datetyp on the SQL Server of the table ?
    > Some other methods ?
    > Thanks a lot
    > Arun

    You should not have this problem if you use parameterized sql statements or
    stored procedures.
    Bob Barrows
    Bob Barrows, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Ray's right. You're trying to insert Unicode characters. Your column
    datatype should be nvarchar or ntext.

    --
    William Morris
    Product Development, Seritas LLC

    WIlliam Morris, Sep 25, 2003
  5. Thanks first.
    I am already using the nvarchar for the column datetype. It should be a
    bigger field for about some 300 letters. I will try to change it to ntext.

    Greetigns arun

    Arun Wadhawan, Sep 26, 2003