David Flanagan's book

Dung Ping

I was ready to order his Definitive Guide, 4th ed., but noticed it was
revised in 2001. Is there a way to find out whether a new edition of
it is coming out soon? If yes, I will wait a bit for the new book.
Thanks.

Dung Ping

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

He is working on a rewrite--he says so on his blog

Before I rejoiced because of the many flaws in Ed. 4 seen here, I had a look

and he said he is working on an _update_, where apparently the emphasis will
be on XMLHttpRequest (instead of on fixing errors). Unfortunately, that is
not the _rewrite_ I hoped for.
If that breaks,

Why should it?

"Tiny URLs" are just another menace of the Net.

PointedEars

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Christopher Benson-Manica said:
Why do you say so?

I dislike them for two reasons:
- They might break. Nothing is forever, not even a web server. One might
expect a free service to be even less permanent, even one as cheap to
run as a redirector. If the original server stops serving the page,
there is nothing to do about it, except perhaps find it in the Google
cache. Adding an extra layer of indirection that might break as well,
and which breaks without leaving any clue to what the original page
was, is just adding fragility.
- You can't see where they go. I prefer to have just a tiny bit of clue
about where I'm going before I press a link. Going through a redirector,
and especially one with as little clue as a tiny-url, remove any
chance of knowing it.

On top of that, I just don't see the point. I'd much rather people
started using newsreaders that didn't break lines that should be
broken (or at least use Quotefix if they insist on using Outlook), or
browsers that accept broken links (I know Opera does)

Whether they are a menace, I'm not sure, but a few tiny-urls to
goatse.cx-like pages sounds menacing to me :)

/L 'Brevity of expression is good. Absence of content is not.'

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Dung said:
He is working on a rewrite--he says so on his blog at
http://www.davidflanagan.com/blog/2005_03.html#000053
[...]

He said that in March 2005. Hope the new edition will appear soon.
Does anyone have the date of publication? If not very soon, I'd better
get the 4th ed. from the Borders this weekend.

Don't.[1] It is far better to subscribe to this newsgroup,
to read its FAQ and the resources linked there.

<URL:http://jibbering.com/faq/>

PointedEars
[1] news:[email protected]