day of week

andy

Greetings

Could anyone kindly help me figure out how to add the day of the week to
David Spelts' Traffic Log "Hits By Day"?

I tried the following and could not implement any properly. I am a perl
newbie and would appreciate any help. I imagine this is simple for a perl
guru:

#$dayofweek = Date_DayOfWeek($month,$day,$year);
#my $date = ParseDateString("15 mar 1999");
$date = substr($key,0,6);
print UnixDate($date, "%a");
#$dayofweek = UnixDate($date, "%A");

#my $dt = DateTime->new(year => $year, month => $month, day => $day);
#my $dow = $dt->day_of_week();

#use Date::Calc; # you need this to calculate your date
#my $a = Date::Calc::Date_to_Text(2005, 12, 15);

I am using a Linux server with perl ver 5.8.7

all files required to run the script can be found here:
http://www.spelts.com/trafficlog/

Jim Gibson

Greetings

Could anyone kindly help me figure out how to add the day of the week to
David Spelts' Traffic Log "Hits By Day"?

I tried the following and could not implement any properly. I am a perl
newbie and would appreciate any help. I imagine this is simple for a perl
guru:

#$dayofweek = Date_DayOfWeek($month,$day,$year);
#my $date = ParseDateString("15 mar 1999");

What is the purpose of posting commented-out code?
$date = substr($key,0,6);

What is in $key?
print UnixDate($date, "%a");

What module implements UnixDate?
#$dayofweek = UnixDate($date, "%A");

#my $dt = DateTime->new(year => $year, month => $month, day => $day);

What module implements DateTime?
#my $dow = $dt->day_of_week();

What module implements day_of_week?
#use Date::Calc; # you need this to calculate your date
#my $a = Date::Calc::Date_to_Text(2005, 12, 15);

Finally, a clue as to which module you are attempting to use!
I am using a Linux server with perl ver 5.8.7

all files required to run the script can be found here:
http://www.spelts.com/trafficlog/

So you expect us to go to this website, download the program, install
it on our webserver, and test it? You must not want help very badly.

Maybe this will help:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Date::Calc qw(Day_of_Week);
my @days = qw( Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat );
my $dow =Day_of_Week(2005, 12, 15 );
print "Dec 15, 2005 is a $days[$dow]\n";

FYI: this newsgroup is defunct. Try comp.lang.perl.misc in the future
(but if you do, please read and comply with the guidelines for that
group).

Good luck.

andy

LOL