Daylight saving come up soon

Roedy Green

For North Americans daylight saving starts Sunday March 9.

On daylight saving switch days, don’t set your computer clock forward
an hour! Instead, make sure your machine is configured to the correct
time zone, and reset your clock from an atomic time source. It will
automatically jump at 2 AM. If you fiddle the clock, you will screw up
the file timestamps which are kept in timezone-independent,
DST-independent, GMT aka UTC. To make sure your timezone is
configured correctly, and to set your clock from an atomic timesource,
use the SetClock utility. http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html

It works only for windows. With a tiny bit of JNI it would also work
on other platforms. Hint Hint.

For background see:

http://mindprod.com/jgloss/dst.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timezone.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timesources.html

Nigel Wade

Roedy said:
It works only for windows. With a tiny bit of JNI it would also work
on other platforms.

Other platforms don't need hackery to the system clock to deal with DST. Only
Microsoft/Windows is daft enough to operate in wall-clock time.
Hint Hint.

Quite.

Mark Thornton

Nigel said:
Other platforms don't need hackery to the system clock to deal with DST. Only
Microsoft/Windows is daft enough to operate in wall-clock time.

Current versions of Windows use UTC internally.

Windows 9x and ME are not supported anymore.

Mark Thornton

Roedy Green

Other platforms don't need hackery to the system clock to deal with DST. Only
Microsoft/Windows is daft enough to operate in wall-clock time.

I believe NT, 2000 and Vista all work internally on GST/UTC. They
will automatically handle DST. All you need do is ensure the timezone
is correctly configured and the UTC base time is correct.
Previously they worked on raw wall clock time.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
For North Americans daylight saving starts Sunday March 9.

On daylight saving switch days, don’t set your computer clock forward
an hour! Instead, make sure your machine is configured to the correct
time zone, and reset your clock from an atomic time source. It will
automatically jump at 2 AM. If you fiddle the clock, you will screw up
the file timestamps which are kept in timezone-independent,
DST-independent, GMT aka UTC. To make sure your timezone is
configured correctly, and to set your clock from an atomic timesource,
use the SetClock utility. http://mindprod.com/webstart/setclock.html

It works only for windows. With a tiny bit of JNI it would also work
on other platforms. Hint Hint.

I can not see any point in this utility.

Windows changes DST automatically and has done so for
many years.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
I don't think you can. It is built-in to Vista.

net time /set /yes

should be able to set the time from a time server (not necessarily
Windows based) on the network.

Arne

Peter Duniho

I don't think you can. It is built-in to Vista.

Granted, I haven't used Vista on a regular basis. But looking at, for
example, this page --
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/dealing-with-windows-vista-time-sync-problems/
-- it appears to me that the Vista Internet Time UI is exactly the same as
it was in XP.

You can type the name of whatever server you want into the control.

A good thing for people to remember: "just because you hate Windows, that
doesn't mean you have a clue about how it works".

Pete

Roedy Green

I can not see any point in this utility.

Windows changes DST automatically and has done so for
many years.

But it doesn't work reliably. Try setclock and you will see.

Roedy Green

But it doesn't work reliably. Try setclock and you will see.

IF you have the timezone configured, it does the DST flip if you have
the latest updates installed. On some Windows it is a manual update
to deal with the change in rules.

However, I could never get the auto NTS update to work with the MS
time server. I will try it with another. My time would drift many
seconds off.

Martin Gregorie

Roedy said:
IF you have the timezone configured, it does the DST flip if you have
the latest updates installed. On some Windows it is a manual update
to deal with the change in rules.

However, I could never get the auto NTS update to work with the MS
time server. I will try it with another. My time would drift many
seconds off.

There are advantages to being free from the Dark Side. I've run ntp for
years on my Linux systems, My internet time sources are the European and
Pacific timeserver pools and, a historic hang-over from my dial-up days
and RedHat 6.2, I have a home built receiver for the Rugby MSF time
signal configured as a tier 2 source.

Jonathon Buzzard designed the hardware and wrote a shared-memory ntpd
interface for it. The hardware cost GBP 30 ($US 60) and took barely a
couple of hours to assemble and test. Its powered from the serial port.
See http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html for details.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.java.programmer message <rb22t3hh8skch17as5jn922ae19a79e159
@4ax.com>, Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:59:22, Roedy Green <[email protected]
om.invalid> posted:
For North Americans daylight saving starts Sunday March 9.

On daylight saving switch days, don’t set your computer clock forward
an hour! Instead, make sure your machine is configured to the correct
time zone, and reset your clock from an atomic time source. It will
automatically jump at 2 AM.

Some North Americans do not have Summer Time.

NRC thinks that Newfoundland changes at 00:01 clock time (which IMHO
gives a risk of advancing the date, in Autumn, twice).

I believe that Mexico is in North America, and uses different dates.
I believe that Greenland is in North America, and uses different dates.

<http://www.worldtimezone.com/daylight.htm>.

Caveat : I think they are inaccurate about Europe, in that there are
non-EU non-Russian parts of Europe which follow the Russian times.

Karl

Martin Gregorie said:
There are advantages to being free from the Dark Side. I've run ntp for
years on my Linux systems, My internet time sources are the European and
Pacific timeserver pools and, a historic hang-over from my dial-up days
and RedHat 6.2, I have a home built receiver for the Rugby MSF time signal
configured as a tier 2 source.

Jonathon Buzzard designed the hardware and wrote a shared-memory ntpd
interface for it. The hardware cost GBP 30 ($US 60) and took barely a
couple of hours to assemble and test. Its powered from the serial port.
See http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html for details.

I have never had problems with any Windows NT-based system including, NTP,
DST, time zones, etc.

I have a Java weather data acquisition application that I happen to be
running on Windows XP, and it sails right through DST time changes with no
trouble at all, and stays synchronized with time.windows.com or any other
NTP server I happen to choose.

http://mysite.verizon.net/Karl_Uppiano/weather.html
http://mysite.verizon.net/Karl_Uppiano/wxservice.html

There are minor difficulties if the hardware timebase is not accurate,
causing wind speed anomalies when it syncs with network time, but that isn't
Windows' fault.

Arne Vajhøj

Dr said:
In comp.lang.java.programmer message <rb22t3hh8skch17as5jn922ae19a79e159
@4ax.com>, Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:59:22, Roedy Green <[email protected]
om.invalid> posted:

Some North Americans do not have Summer Time.

NRC thinks that Newfoundland changes at 00:01 clock time (which IMHO
gives a risk of advancing the date, in Autumn, twice).

I believe that Mexico is in North America, and uses different dates.
I believe that Greenland is in North America, and uses different dates.

He probably just meant USA and Canada.

Arne