Daylight saving in NSW

Ockham's Razor

dorayme said:
In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April (a
week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put back an hour
today. It is supposed to be done automatically on a per region basis
(set in sys pref on a Mac). Something or someone has stuffed up. Had to
manually put it forward again. It is possible, I suppose, it is just my
machine at fault (not me, of course.)

I am running 10.3.9. In the "Date and Time" preference pane there is an
option to set the time automatically for America, Europe and Asia and
then to choose your "time zone" within those broad areas.

The US changed the date of DST for this year and mine went thru
automatically with only this setting in the Preferences.

If it is not working for you, try trashing the preference file and
re-setting for your zone.

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

Steven Weinberg

Rick Brandt

Baho said:
This thread is amazing as the folks that _think_ they can get an extra
hour of sunlite. The Earth revolves at a somewhat fixed pace so the
reality of this is you don't get an extra hour. All days have
approx. 24 hours and that is all you get no matter how you want to
count it.

You have completely missed the point. It is not about having more daylight.
It is about having more daylight hours when people can take advantage of
them. Having more daylight time before they wake up or before they go to
work is no help to the vast majority of people. Having more daylight time
AFTER work is extremely helpful.

Yes, in theory everyone could go to work an hour earlier and return an hour
earlier without changing the clocks, but the reality is that this will never
be viable for anyone that is not self-employed and/or makes use of services
provided by other people who also work on a schedule.

As for just moving the clock and leaving it that way that is not done (at
least in the US) because people do not want their children going to school
in the morning while it is still dark. As others have stated the extra hour
of light in the evening loses its advantage once it moves within the time
people are working (those that work indoors anyway) so to leave it in DST
all year would give us six months of the disadvantages without any of the
advantages.

Frankly people who feel this is disruptive have pretty small things to
complain about. Moving the dates on which the clocks are to be changed was
a PITA for a lot of electronic/computerized systems, but the actual time
change is no big deal at all.

Baho Utot

[...]

Only if your life revolves around going to work.

Johan W. Elzenga

Baho Utot said:
This thread is amazing as the folks that _think_ they can get an extra
hour of sunlite. The Earth revolves at a somewhat fixed pace so the
reality of this is you don't get an extra hour. All days have approx. 24
hours and that is all you get no matter how you want to count it.

What part of "It's about having one more hour of daylight during the
period that people are active" didn't you understand?

Lewis

In message said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<[email protected]> writing in (e-mail address removed):
I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.
I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

I'd much rather have sunset in the summer be around 2100 than 2000 though.
I get more daylight when I want it (after work) with DST.

Toby A Inkster

Adrienne said:
I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

Indeed -- I've been saying that for years.

In fact, my vote is that we scrap timezones altogether and everyone goes
by UTC all the time. I'm not suggesting that children in New Zealand ought
to be going to school at night time, and eating their lunches by the light
of the moon -- they'd keep their normal routines, it would just be the
notation used for times that would change.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 4 days, 4:38.]

Cognition 0.1 Alpha 6
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/29/cognition-alpha6/

Toby A Inkster

Phil said:
I live in a half hour time zone, like Newfoundland!

A lot of people forget that half hour time zones exist. In fact a good
proportion of the world's population live in them. (Hint: India is in
UTC+05:30.) 15/45-minute timezones exist too, though they're mostly used
by tiny island nations.

Before WWI, Liberia was at GMT-00:43:08, and until WWII, the Netherlands
were at GMT+00:19:32. But the last of those weird time zones was phased
out in the 1980s, so all time zones are now rounded off to 15 minutes.

Thanks to the weirdly shaped international date line, many small islands
are more than twelve hours ahead of or behind UTC -- parts of Kiribati are
at UTC+14:00, which just *has* to be some kind of publicity stunt! ("We're
so far ahead of the rest of the world here.")

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 4 days, 4:42.]

Cognition 0.1 Alpha 6
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/29/cognition-alpha6/

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
Btw, check out my new email address. I couldn't get it to "go through"
without sticking the "me@" in front, but the link seems to work.

I'm assuming that goes to your form mail handler? Neat!

Neredbojias

I'm assuming that goes to your form mail handler? Neat!

We-ell, I goes to my form but Yahoo's form-handler. Kind of a long story
here, but basically it boils down to the "idiosyncrasy" that you can't use
normal form mail with Yahoo hosting unless the "from" address is one of
your own. I know it's hard to believe in this day and age, but so is
reality tv.

Which brings me to this request which I make in the most humble and
respectful manner. Would you mind sending me a short test missive using
the form in question? You need to include something in the "email address
or handle" box, but it doesn't have to be any email address; "Edward" would
be fine. I need to see if the thing works outside of my own domain.

Thanks much.

Neredbojias

My computer sets the change automatically.

But it needs to know what time zone it's in, doesn't it? And that
involves human intervention.
Probably because it's a lot easier to only change the clock

I beg to differ. All that clock-changing is one royal PITA. It would
be _much_ simpler to have something like a "time-offset" twice per year
wherein everything occurs an hour earlier in spring and later in fall as
a matter of course.
, than to
change every time table and every schedule. I'm sure people would find
that much more impractical and would miss regular meetings, planes,
trains and busses before they finally got used to the new schadules.
But hey, I didn't invent DST, so don't ask me why it was done this way
and not another way.

I think it originally was a political ploy, -just a new way to curry
favor with the ignorant masses by convincing them they want what you
convince them they want.
I didn't say I want it to be summer all the time.

True, but that would be all right by me. I hate cold weather. Man was
not put upon this earth to emulate the penguin.

Neredbojias

I propose a campaign to eliminate the scourge of DST by 2016 (the 100th
anniversary of the first usage of DST).

A nice sentiment which I'd fully support, but I think they're still working
on the heartbreak of psoriasis.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Toby A Inkster <usenet200803
@tobyinkster.co.uk> writing in
I propose a campaign to eliminate the scourge of DST by 2016 (the 100th
anniversary of the first usage of DST).

I'm with you. Let's do it.

Els

Toby said:
Indeed -- I've been saying that for years.

In fact, my vote is that we scrap timezones altogether and everyone goes
by UTC all the time. I'm not suggesting that children in New Zealand ought
to be going to school at night time, and eating their lunches by the light
of the moon -- they'd keep their normal routines, it would just be the
notation used for times that would change.

Would make it a bit difficult for long distance travellers I think. If
you travel from the UK to the USA, and arrive in what previously was a
timezone at UTC-7, you'll have to tell your mind that 1am is time to
get up, and breakfast will only be served till 3am. Of course your
body will agree with you that 3am is way too early to be even thinking
of breakfast, but I'm not sure which would be confused more - your
body or you mind - when trying to adjust to a new time schedule.
You'd still have the jetlag, but now on top of it you have to keep
calculating the times.

Baho Utot

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:00:30 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:

[putolin]
The world doesn't turn. It is stationary; the rest of the universe just
revolves around it.

What you are catholic?