Daylight saving in NSW

Baho Utot

What part of "It's about having one more hour of daylight during the
period that people are active" didn't you understand?

Nothing, You have exactly the same amount of "daylite" DST only
re-lables it.

You don't gain or get anything.

Eric Lindsay

On the other hand, if you look in /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia you will
find a new zoneinfo file for Eucla. Yes, after many years, Apple have
(like Linux and FreeBSD) added the Mid West Australian time zone to
their files. So the hundred or so people near the WA border can now be
45 minutes away from Perth time, and 45 minutes away from Adelaide time.

No GUI interface to it. Boo!

Johan W. Elzenga

Neredbojias said:
I beg to differ. All that clock-changing is one royal PITA. It would
be _much_ simpler to have something like a "time-offset" twice per year
wherein everything occurs an hour earlier in spring and later in fall as
a matter of course.

We agree that we disagree. Changing the clocks takes me five minutes,
and then I can forget that I even did it. Using a 'time offset' for half
a year means I constantly have to remember that we did, so that regular
meetings and other scheduled things are suddenly rescheduled. That would
indeed be a PITA for my computerized diary.

It would also cause lots of little misunderstandings and disagreements.
Let's say that we work in the same office, and we have a weekly meeting
at 10.00 AM each monday. Would that meeting change to 9.00 AM too? You
probably say that it does, but I may disagree. Why would the meeting
have to change? The fact that we now come into the office one hour
earlier has little or nothing to do with our meeting, so as far as I'm
concerned 10.00 AM means 10.00 AM. BTW, wouldn't it be silly if the Nine
O'Clock News was suddenly at eight? Just setting the clock one hour
earlier avoids all those problems.

Johan W. Elzenga

Baho Utot said:
Nothing, You have exactly the same amount of "daylite" DST only
re-lables it.

You don't gain or get anything.

You did indeed not understand a word of it, so let me try once more.
I'll type it slowly:

It's not about gaining an hour of daylight each day. It's about gaining
an hour of daylight d u r i n g t h e t i m e t h a t y o u
a r e a w a k e.

Phil Kempster

Warren said:
Phil Kempster said:
Couldn't agree more. If you want to trade with an adjoining time zone,
get up an hour earlier [1]. You don't have to bother the cows and the
school children at all, let the rest of us stay in tune with the sun.
It's crazy that we're totally controlled by little mechanical devices
strapped to our wrists.

[1] I live in a half hour time zone, like Newfoundland!

Venezuela?

No, South Australia - Chavez copied us ;-)

And we don't change over until next weekend - screwing up all of the
auto-programmed changes.

Ockham's Razor

Els said:
Would make it a bit difficult for long distance travellers I think.

Absolutely not. If you have an eight hour flight from NYC, you would
arrive 8 hours by all the clocks after you departed. That is the
reason that the USAF keeps UMT, calling it Zulu.

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

Steven Weinberg

Ockham's Razor

Neredbojias said:
The world doesn't turn. It is stationary; the rest of the universe just
revolves around it.

Gawd, another Bush republican.

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good
people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Ockham's Razor

Neredbojias said:
But it needs to know what time zone it's in, doesn't it? And that
involves human intervention.

Keep in mind that computers are really quite stupid.

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good
people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Baho Utot

You did indeed not understand a word of it, so let me try once more.
I'll type it slowly:

It's not about gaining an hour of daylight each day. It's about gaining
an hour of daylight d u r i n g t h e t i m e t h a t y o u a
r e a w a k e.

Let me re-type this again....How do you know when I sleep and when I am
awake?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
...if they want to adjust work and school start times, etc.,
go ahead, but leave the clock itself alone.

So let's get really clear on this Boji, you are saying that you would
not mind if work and school start and finish times were adjusted and
things like that. So if Adrienne's cow, Bessy was trained to give milk
earlier or later twice a year, you would not mind. And if we worked out
how to adjust the spinning of the earth, you would not mind and so on.

You would only pipe up an objection if anyone fiddled with the clock. My
dear dear Boji, why o why does it not occur to you and your fellow DLS
haters that the clock is adjusted because it is so much easier than
adjusting these other things. It is the magic short cut. I suspect you
simply don't like magic.

I like magic and I like DLS.

(btw. You try swimming in the bloody dark in the sea with those sharks
about)

Neredbojias

We agree that we disagree. Changing the clocks takes me five minutes,
and then I can forget that I even did it. Using a 'time offset' for half
a year means I constantly have to remember that we did, so that regular
meetings and other scheduled things are suddenly rescheduled. That would
indeed be a PITA for my computerized diary.

Okay. I understand your point of view, and I do not say that "global hour
shifting" would be devoid of problems.
It would also cause lots of little misunderstandings and disagreements.
Let's say that we work in the same office, and we have a weekly meeting
at 10.00 AM each monday. Would that meeting change to 9.00 AM too? You
probably say that it does, but I may disagree. Why would the meeting
have to change? The fact that we now come into the office one hour
earlier has little or nothing to do with our meeting, so as far as I'm
concerned 10.00 AM means 10.00 AM. BTW, wouldn't it be silly if the Nine
O'Clock News was suddenly at eight? Just setting the clock one hour
earlier avoids all those problems.

Yes, I'd say that _everything_ should change so the meeting should be at
9:00 am - which would be the same amount of time after work-start. I don't
see this as being a particularly egregious problem, but I don't expect
universal agreement on it (-or anything.)

Neredbojias

Keep in mind that computers are really quite stupid.

Actually, they are completely stupid. What can a computer do for itself (-
on its own)? I think you need self-awareness for any form of intelligence,
so that would be the first step in developing AI.

Neredbojias

Gawd, another Bush republican.

Not hardly. I'm about as anti-Republican as it gets.

Take the "Economic Stimulus" package. I'd be willing to bet most people
like it. "Oh, $300 for free! Great! Yeah George!!" Geesh.

dorayme

Eric Lindsay said:
as reported
in the news this morning.

Morning Eric, thanks for this sentence as I now know it is a general
problem... I will be walking up to get the paper soon.

The few people I talked to yesterday knew nothing about it. You have to
be careful raising the subject as it is pretty controversial. I avoid
asking anyone even the most innocuous question that touches on it if
they are big and mean looking and especially if they are carrying - you
know, like an AK-47 or a blade like Crocodile Dundee, or a holstered
equaliser like Dirty Harry.

Neredbojias

So let's get really clear on this Boji, you are saying that you would
not mind if work and school start and finish times were adjusted and
things like that. So if Adrienne's cow, Bessy was trained to give milk
earlier or later twice a year, you would not mind. And if we worked out
how to adjust the spinning of the earth, you would not mind and so on.

You would only pipe up an objection if anyone fiddled with the clock. My
dear dear Boji, why o why does it not occur to you and your fellow DLS
haters that the clock is adjusted because it is so much easier than
adjusting these other things. It is the magic short cut. I suspect you
simply don't like magic.

I like magic and I like DLS.

I don't think adjusting the clock is easier at all. What would be wrong
with making a ruling that all scheduled times are an hour earlier between
such and such dates? You have to remember to change clocks, anyway (except
maybe on the 'puter), so...
(btw. You try swimming in the bloody dark in the sea with those sharks
about)

Yeah, I know. One time Blinky invited me to go skinny-dipping with him at
midnight, but I'm aware of that trick.

Neredbojias

Absolutely not. If you have an eight hour flight from NYC, you would
arrive 8 hours by all the clocks after you departed. That is the
reason that the USAF keeps UMT, calling it Zulu.

Makes you wonder if there was ever a Zulu warrior named "Umt"...

Gufus

Hi Ockham's,

Sunday March 30 2008, Ockham's Razor writes to Neredbojias:
> XPost: comp.sys.mac.apps
> From: (e-mail address removed)
> Keep in mind that computers are really quite stupid.

Yep, operators too.

--
K Klement

Enhance your marketing at http://www.gypsy-designs.com
mailto:[email protected]
Gypsy Designs Fax: (403) 242-3221

.... Turn your 486 into a GameBoy? At c:\ type WIN

Ben C

I don't think adjusting the clock is easier at all. What would be wrong
with making a ruling that all scheduled times are an hour earlier between
such and such dates? You have to remember to change clocks, anyway (except
maybe on the 'puter), so...

Why don't you just not adjust your own watch and apply a ruling to
yourself that one hour should be subtracted from all scheduled times?
That way everyone is happy.