Daylight saving in NSW

Ockham's Razor

Neredbojias said:
Not hardly. I'm about as anti-Republican as it gets.

Take the "Economic Stimulus" package. I'd be willing to bet most people
like it. "Oh, $300 for free! Great! Yeah George!!" Geesh.

The only problem is that it is funded with debt. Thanks China!

--
With or without religion, you would have good people doing
good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

Steven Weinberg

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
We-ell, I goes to my form but Yahoo's form-handler. Kind of a long story
here, but basically it boils down to the "idiosyncrasy" that you can't use
normal form mail with Yahoo hosting unless the "from" address is one of
your own. I know it's hard to believe in this day and age, but so is
reality tv.

Which brings me to this request which I make in the most humble and
respectful manner. Would you mind sending me a short test missive using
the form in question? You need to include something in the "email address
or handle" box, but it doesn't have to be any email address; "Edward" would
be fine. I need to see if the thing works outside of my own domain.

Thanks much.

Hmm. I tried right-clicking on your "From" field in SeaMonkey and
choosing "Compose mail to" option. I made a fabulous email and clicked
"Send." Got a lengthy error message (which I cannot begin to relate)
and canceled out of the whole process.

Ed Mullen

Neredbojias said:
Not hardly. I'm about as anti-Republican as it gets.

Take the "Economic Stimulus" package. I'd be willing to bet most people
like it. "Oh, $300 for free! Great! Yeah George!!" Geesh.

Right. Lemme see now. Ok, Bob PAID the gov't $2,000 in taxes (or,
realistically, in my case, $50,000). Ok. They're giving Bob back $300.
For "free?" Sigh. Just like the people who have had $20,000
with-held and think they are paying no taxes because they are getting a
refund of $1,500. Uh. Huh? You hold them still and I will smack them
until they get it.

The beauty, however, of the American system is that the clueless are as
empowered, in many ways, as those of us who actually understand the
math. So! Instead of paying, say, the Swedish government, 65% of our
income in taxes, we only pay the US gov't 33% of our effort in taxes.

Wait! Hold on! But, if we elect Hillary, we could adopt the Swedish
system! We could pay the totally ineffectual US gov't 66% of what we
sweat to make for a mis-managed catastrophe in virtually every system
from health care (my wife is a Canadian, don't even try to take me
there) to retirement (excuse me, I was responsible, I planned, I
invested, I WORKED!, I am secure unless Hillary or Obama decides to take
what I have and give it to someone else who has no clue, which is what
they are proposing).

When Hillary and Barak talk about "wealth redistribution" ask them where
that notion comes from. Karl Marx.

If it comes to it? If one of them gets elected? I really would
consider moving off-shore. Sorry, I watched my mother-in-law die, in
part, because of the Canadian nationalized health-care system. This is
what Hillary and Barak want to take my money away to give to us. Screw
them and anyone else who thinks that America is about taking instead of
working.

Research the Fair Tax. Abolish the IRS.

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
When Hillary and Barak talk about "wealth redistribution" ask them where
that notion comes from. Karl Marx.

The history of the idea has roots going back even further than Matthew
20: 1-15 not to mention Mark 10:31

"But many that are first shall be last, and the last first."

Adrienne Boswell

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:00:30 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:

[putolin]
The world doesn't turn. It is stationary; the rest of the universe just
revolves around it.

What you are catholic?

Hey, I'm Catholic - and by the way, it was a Catholic priest, Fr.
Georges Lemaitre, who first developed the Big Bang theory.

Ed Mullen

Adrienne said:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:00:30 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:

[putolin]
All days have approx. 24
hours and that is all you get no matter how you want to count it.
Can you cite a reference for that?
Sure just Google for As The World Turns :)

The world doesn't turn. It is stationary; the rest of the universe just
revolves around it.
What you are catholic?

Hey, I'm Catholic - and by the way, it was a Catholic priest, Fr.
Georges Lemaitre, who first developed the Big Bang theory.

I like to borrow from my sister who said, many years ago: "I'm a
/recovering/ Roman Catholic." The truth in that statement struck me in
so many ways that I use it now, today, to describe myself whenever some
need for religious description arises.

We were raised (schooled) in that venue in the 50s and 60s and no one
who wasn't cannot know what it was like.

Being the youngest of three siblings I had the good fortune of profiting
from all the mis-steps my parents made with my two sisters. So, I was
allowed, more than they, to think for myself, act out, make choices,
reject dogmaticism, and, generally, be wacky and a pain in the ass.

For some reason, and I'm still not sure why, the still love me.

On the other hand, those early lessons served me well. Despite the
illogic and contradictions, I grew up loving, without a prejudiced bone
in my body, and believing that good will triumph over evil.

Yeah, well, I may be silly but I have been successful. And I still hear
Mom's voice chiding: "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!"

Although, vinegar seems to have gained a lot more favor lately. Just
remodeled the house with granite counter tops, etc. And they said I
should only use a vinegar-based cleaner. Hmm. Maybe the old lady had
something going for her after all?

Neredbojias

Hmm. I tried right-clicking on your "From" field in SeaMonkey and
choosing "Compose mail to" option. I made a fabulous email and
clicked "Send." Got a lengthy error message (which I cannot begin to
relate) and canceled out of the whole process.

Well thank you very much for trying it. Damn, that probably means the form
only works within the same domain. Yahoo really sucks when it comes to
form mail

Maybe I'll revert to and update my old form which _did_ work after a
fashion. Hell, it was no worse and some better than Yahoo's canned form
even if the latter functioned.

Thanks again.

Um, um, wait a minute... I just reread your message. Right-clicking on
the "from" field? -Oh, I see! No, that won't work. It's a url, a link;
you have to double click-it to get to a form. No actual email is involve
prior to the form; ergo, one's email address, whatever it may or may not
be, is prefectly safe from spamming. If you include an actual email
address on the form (which isn't required though some kind of handle is).
that email address is still safe because it's only submitted by the form
for reference - never used for actual sending. That (I think) is why Yahoo
does it that way.

Neredbojias

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:00:30 +0000, Neredbojias wrote:

[putolin]
All days have approx. 24
hours and that is all you get no matter how you want to count it.

Can you cite a reference for that?

Sure just Google for As The World Turns :)

The world doesn't turn. It is stationary; the rest of the universe just
revolves around it.

What you are catholic?

Hey, I'm Catholic - and by the way, it was a Catholic priest, Fr.
Georges Lemaitre, who first developed the Big Bang theory.

Yeah but when you're a Catholic priest, you'll take any kind of a bang you
can get.

Neredbojias

The only problem is that it is funded with debt. Thanks China!

I don't think that's the _only_ problem; the whole strategy is wrong. But
anyway, discussing politics has no logical conlusion, so I wish George and
all the rest of the US only the best, with or without delusions, and shall
soothe myself gently in the warming balm of my hedonistic fantasies.

Neredbojias

Right. Lemme see now. Ok, Bob PAID the gov't $2,000 in taxes (or,
realistically, in my case, $50,000). Ok. They're giving Bob back
$300.
For "free?" Sigh.

Just a little irony there...
[...]

Hehe, you don't have to tell me. I, myself personally, am involved in
something like that right now. Not going to go into it, especially here,
but it's true. Suffice to say that excessive socialization isn't the
answer as almost any govt social program is administered and operated by
people who just don't give a shit the way _you_ would for yourself.

The only thing I have to add is that there must be a solution somehow,
but I sure haven't seen it yet.

Neredbojias

Why don't you just not adjust your own watch and apply a ruling to
yourself that one hour should be subtracted from all scheduled times?
That way everyone is happy.

Believe it or not, before I moved to a time-rational zone, that's exactly
what I did. However, the clocks which were maladjusted kept upsetting me.

Toby A Inkster

Els said:
Would make it a bit difficult for long distance travellers I think. If
you travel from the UK to the USA, and arrive in what previously was a
timezone at UTC-7, you'll have to tell your mind that 1am is time to get
up, and breakfast will only be served till 3am.

Or you could just go to sleep when it got dark, and ask the hotel to give
you a wake-up call an hour before they stop serving breakfast and stop
worrying about numbers.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 4 days, 16:51.]

Cognition 0.1 Alpha 6
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/29/cognition-alpha6/

Mike Dee

dorayme said:
In NSW Australia, daylight saving does not finish until 6th April
(a week later than usual). I noticed my computer clock was put
back an hour today. It is supposed to be done automatically on a
per region basis (set in sys pref on a Mac). Something or someone
has stuffed up. Had to manually put it forward again. It is
possible, I suppose, it is just my machine at fault (not me, of
course.)

I'm leaving my 'puter's reset clock as is (too lazy to reset it
manually) and some 'puter clocks in other countries seem to think NSW
has finished DL saving anywho, i.e - the Italian nntp server that I
post from seems to find my TZ as being valid.

It's only going to last a few more days and then I can forget about it
for another year (unless the powers that be decide to begin DLS at an
unusual time, too).

Vladimir

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme

I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.

I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

You must be from Queensland! Joh's morons are still alive and well.

Els

Toby said:
Or you could just go to sleep when it got dark, and ask the hotel to give
you a wake-up call an hour before they stop serving breakfast and stop
worrying about numbers.

Is an idea, yes - for the brave. Most people are ruled by their
watches, they have preconditioned their brains to obey the numbers on
the clock :)

As for going to sleep when it gets dark - that won't work most of the
time. (depending on time of year and distance to equator)

Johan W. Elzenga

Neredbojias said:
Yes, I'd say that _everything_ should change so the meeting should be at
9:00 am - which would be the same amount of time after work-start. I don't
see this as being a particularly egregious problem, but I don't expect
universal agreement on it (-or anything.)

That's exactly the point. If the country decides to use DST, there is
nothing you or any other individual can do about it. You may not agree,
but you have to live by it. It's 2.50 PM now in my country, whether I
like it or not. A time offset on the other hand cannot be enforced. If
some people don't use it for whatever reason, there is nothing you can
do about it. But the result is chaos and misunderstandings. I would
agree with you on the regular meeting. But what about a one time meeting
that we planned? When we agreed to meet at 10 AM, did we mean "10 AM
including the time offset", or did we mean "10 AM excludung the time
offset, so actually 9 AM". I honestly wouldn't know without asking you
what you think we agreed upon...

Johan W. Elzenga

Baho Utot said:
Let me re-type this again....How do you know when I sleep and when I am
awake?

I don't and I couldn't care less. As far as I'm concerned, you are never
realy awake. But what makes you think that DST was invented especially
for you and only for you? I hate to be the one to bring this news to
you, but it wasn't.

dorayme

Mike Dee said:
... some 'puter clocks in other countries seem to think NSW
has finished DL saving anywho, i.e - the Ital

I wonder if this is going to cause trouble with Luigi, wherever he might
be? Even if, bless his soul, he has fallen off the perch (er... is there
DLS in heaven?).

J.O. Aho

Neredbojias said:
Well thank you very much for trying it. Damn, that probably means the form
only works within the same domain. Yahoo really sucks when it comes to
form mail

The page you have made don't be invoked, as Ed is using a proper mail client
and those your web page will never be called. You idea of having a form page
as a "mail address" is as bad as microsofts idea of including html to mail.

It's a url, a link;
you have to double click-it to get to a form.

That won't work, a form address isn't a link (maybe you are using a crappy
mail client), even if it would work, there aren't any me@http protocol.

If you had thought about things more than a millisecond, you had added your
form address in the footer of your message.

whatever it may or may not be, is prefectly safe from spamming.

If spammers want to spam you they can use their spambots to use your form to
send you load of spam.

If you include an actual email
address on the form (which isn't required though some kind of handle is).
that email address is still safe because it's only submitted by the form
for reference - never used for actual sending. That (I think) is why Yahoo
does it that way.

They just protect themselves from mail header injection and they don't want to
write a code that protects against header injection.