Daylight saving in NSW

Blinky the Shark

Baho said:
Why would I care who it was invented for?

Why would it be invented for me?

I am not in a country that practices DST.

That said, I've never understood how people can get all wrapped around the
axle about DST. Right now, it's approaching 8:30 PM here. If we weren't
on DST, it would be approaching 7:30 PM. I couldn't care less which time
it is. Anything I can do in the dark I can do in the light; anything I
can do in the light I can do in the dark. Especially living in a nation
advanced enough to have electricity.

Neredbojias

You're welcome. And, to allay any fears, I have put down the sandpaper
and paint brushes for the evening. I will take up again in the morning
the project. I forsee lots of masking tape and newspapers in my future.

and, I'm informed my wife: "Ok, if we ever have to paint the interior
of the house or do any remodeling again, I'm just f*****g selling the
house and moving!!!" Hey! Build a new one, right? Sheesh. All this
painting and spackling and sanding and stuff?

Oh well, secretly I love it. Manly stuff! Tools involved! Drags on for
days! And then I go: What the hell was I thinking? I coulda paid
someone to do this!!!

Sounds like you're part Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor. Anyway, I've always
hated that kind of stuff and work in general. Give me a nice couch with
soft cushions on a quiet, lazy Sunday afternoon and I'm in pig heaven.
I'll be in a better mood, too, unless you forget to wake me up for supper.

Johan W. Elzenga

Baho Utot said:
Why would I care who it was invented for?

Why would it be invented for me?

I am not in a country that practices DST.

That explains why you don't understand the principle.

Howard Brazee

I hate daylight saving time. It's a waste of time. The sun isn't going
to do anything different just because we want it to, and Bessy the cow
isn't going to give milk any sooner, just because Old McDonald's buyers
are the the farm an hour earlier. Traffic accidents spike at the
beginning of DST, because our internal clocks don't give a hoot what the
clock says either - we're losing an hour of sleep.

I say it's time to get rid of DST altogether.

There was a study when Indiana recently went DST - their energy
consumption went up, not down. Daylight Savings Time is like
cutting off the bottom of your blanket and sewing that piece to the
top.

Computers should have always been internally Zulu time, with time
zones only used for displaying. When it is important to know which
transactions happen first, setting back the clock screws things up.

China is on one time zone (while Siberia has loads of time zones
adjacent to it). Sports fans in the U.S. are learning ESPN time.

My son-in-law got an e-mail telling him to fly to Seattle for a
meeting. Outlook translated the time of the meeting to Rocky
Mountain Time (for a phone interview) - and he was late for his
meeting.

Livestock doesn't adjust to DST.

The world is getting smaller, Zulu should become second nature.

Howard Brazee

I kinda like it staying light later. It was especially fun for me when
I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Ireland in June and it stayed light until almost
10 PM. Same thing on an Alaska cruise. I think we should just adjust
the clock ahead an hour for 12 months of the year! :-D

Which is pretty much the same thing as not changing it at all. What
the actual time is on the clock is really quite meaningless. If you
like golfing after work, go to work while it's still dark, and get out
when it's light. That's what I do.

Howard Brazee

But it needs to know what time zone it's in, doesn't it? And that
involves human intervention.

Why? Nowadays home computers look up the time on the Internet. This
was the first DST for me with a Mac, and it did it automatically. Same
thing for cell phones.

There should be a button on radios that say "synchronize time with the
current radio station's time".

Howard Brazee

It would also cause lots of little misunderstandings and disagreements.
Let's say that we work in the same office, and we have a weekly meeting
at 10.00 AM each monday. Would that meeting change to 9.00 AM too? You
probably say that it does, but I may disagree. Why would the meeting
have to change? The fact that we now come into the office one hour
earlier has little or nothing to do with our meeting, so as far as I'm
concerned 10.00 AM means 10.00 AM. BTW, wouldn't it be silly if the Nine
O'Clock News was suddenly at eight? Just setting the clock one hour
earlier avoids all those problems.

Farmers still get up to feed the livestock at the same time,
regardless of what the clock says. Businesses can avoid having
meetings real early or real late, allowing employees the option of
being early or late. People who live by TV shows won't adjust - but
they don't care whether it is light out anyway.

Howard Brazee

That's exactly the point. If the country decides to use DST, there is
nothing you or any other individual can do about it. You may not agree,
but you have to live by it. It's 2.50 PM now in my country, whether I
like it or not. A time offset on the other hand cannot be enforced. If
some people don't use it for whatever reason, there is nothing you can
do about it. But the result is chaos and misunderstandings. I would
agree with you on the regular meeting. But what about a one time meeting
that we planned? When we agreed to meet at 10 AM, did we mean "10 AM
including the time offset", or did we mean "10 AM excludung the time
offset, so actually 9 AM". I honestly wouldn't know without asking you
what you think we agreed upon...

When you are meeting someone in another time zone, you have that
problem. But at my work, I am working shortly after 6:00 AM, while
some people don't get in until 9:00. I know enough to not
schedule a 7:00 meeting and they know enough to not schedule a 4:00
meeting. (exceptions arise). Meanwhile our customers have more
hours of support.

Howard Brazee

That is why DST is only used part of the year. DST only works in summer,
because it gives you an extra hour in the evening *without* stealing it
from the morning.

Where did that hour come from?

Howard Brazee

You have completely missed the point. It is not about having more daylight.
It is about having more daylight hours when people can take advantage of
them. Having more daylight time before they wake up or before they go to
work is no help to the vast majority of people. Having more daylight time
AFTER work is extremely helpful.

So work earlier.

Howard Brazee

Not hardly. I'm about as anti-Republican as it gets.

Take the "Economic Stimulus" package. I'd be willing to bet most people
like it. "Oh, $300 for free! Great! Yeah George!!" Geesh.

The same ones who don't believe the deficit is a tax.

Howard Brazee

What part of "It's about having one more hour of daylight during the
period that people are active" didn't you understand?

TV watchers live by the clock - but they don't need daylight.

People who like to do things outdoors, don't mind getting up earlier.

Howard Brazee

You did indeed not understand a word of it, so let me try once more.
I'll type it slowly:

It's not about gaining an hour of daylight each day. It's about gaining
an hour of daylight d u r i n g t h e t i m e t h a t y o u
a r e a w a k e.

W a k e u p e a r l i e r, if that's what you want.

Howard Brazee

I don't and I couldn't care less. As far as I'm concerned, you are never
realy awake. But what makes you think that DST was invented especially
for you and only for you? I hate to be the one to bring this news to
you, but it wasn't.

Politicians like to do stuff. It doesn't matter whether it works or
not. Some people are morning people, some people are evening
people. Most assume everybody else would be like them if only they
were enlightened.

Howard Brazee

Would make it a bit difficult for long distance travellers I think. If
you travel from the UK to the USA, and arrive in what previously was a
timezone at UTC-7, you'll have to tell your mind that 1am is time to
get up, and breakfast will only be served till 3am. Of course your
body will agree with you that 3am is way too early to be even thinking
of breakfast, but I'm not sure which would be confused more - your
body or you mind - when trying to adjust to a new time schedule.
You'd still have the jetlag, but now on top of it you have to keep
calculating the times.

Why would they have to recalculate the times? Their watches are
unchanged. They can see if it is daylight out. They know what
time to phone home without calculating the way they do now. When
they phone a restaurant, they ask what time it will be open for
dinner.

Toby A Inkster

Howard said:
There should be a button on radios that say "synchronize time with the
current radio station's time".

Probably too long a label, but most digital TVs and radios can pick up the
time from the airwaves. Hell, even my analogue VCR can.

Strangely my mobile can't. Or it doesn't seem to anyway.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 6 days, 2:23.]

Cognition 0.1 Alpha 6
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/29/cognition-alpha6/

Johan W. Elzenga

Howard Brazee said:
W a k e u p e a r l i e r, if that's what you want.

You are missing the point. DST is not about what *I* want or about what
*you* want. The purpose of DST is to save energy because the whole
society changes time. The government cannot order everybody to wake up
earlier. But it can change the official time. You can debate wether or
not DST actually does save energy, but that was the idea behind it.

Michael Vilain

Howard Brazee said:
Farmers still get up to feed the livestock at the same time,
regardless of what the clock says. Businesses can avoid having
meetings real early or real late, allowing employees the option of
being early or late. People who live by TV shows won't adjust - but
they don't care whether it is light out anyway.

The major tool to change the colors used for Finder labels is LabelsX
from Unsanity. Unfortunately, ALL their HAXIES break in 10.5. They've
just recently released a beta of some of them, but Labels wasn't one of
them. I upgraded to QuickTime 7.6 and their HAXIES broke on 10.4.11, so
I'm currently trying to get along without them.

I don't hold any hope for your current need other than to contact Apple.
Any changes to the Finder will break very easily as the UNSANITY stuff
will attest. You may want to "make do" or revisit this requirement.

Howard Brazee

Probably too long a label, but most digital TVs and radios can pick up the
time from the airwaves. Hell, even my analogue VCR can.

Strangely my mobile can't. Or it doesn't seem to anyway.

We still want a button for people who can receive from stations from
multiple time zones.

This would particularly include car radios.

Howard Brazee

You are missing the point. DST is not about what *I* want or about what
*you* want. The purpose of DST is to save energy because the whole
society changes time. The government cannot order everybody to wake up
earlier. But it can change the official time. You can debate wether or
not DST actually does save energy, but that was the idea behind it.

The only study I've read shows that it doesn't.

Politicians like to *do* stuff. If it doesn't work, we pay for it. A
grand purpose that isn't met doesn't make it right.