    would be the best way to encrypt and decrypt it?

    Thanks,
    Ali

    A.M, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\), Jan 19, 2004

  3. A.M

    Alek Davis Guest

    Ali,

    Check this tool: http://www.obviex.com/cipherlite/. It is not very secure,
    though (but neither is Configuration Management Application Block, since -
    if I understand it correctly - it requires the encryption key to be stored
    in plain text on the same system). Anyway, either option is still better
    than keeping data unencrypted.

    Alek

    "A.M" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I need to store the database connection string inside web.config file.

    What

    Alek Davis, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Actually, the CMAB have a built-in security provider (DPAPIDataProtection
    implementation) that no needs any key management to protect sensitive data.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnbda/html/cmab.asp

    --
    Hernan de Lahitte - MSDE
    Lagash Systems S.A. - Buenos Aires, Argentina

    Hernan de Lahitte, Jan 20, 2004
  5. A.M

    Alek Davis Guest

    Yes, but DPAPI has quite a few limitations. For example, in the plain form,
    it cannot be used by ASP.NET (or any other Web) applications, and the
    question was about Web.config, so DPAPI is not going to help here.

    Alek

    Alek Davis, Jan 20, 2004