    do not have the time to convert it to ASP.NET yet. The ODBC driver is a bit
    different. One is V 4.00.6205 dated 3/2003 the one on the W2K box is version
    4.00.6200 dated 6/2003.
    Rick Csucsai, Aug 17, 2004

  2. First, try using OLEDB instead of ODBC (see http://www.aspfaq.com/2126).
    Next, show us the code that causes a lock, and how you determined that it
    was caused by this code.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    "Rick Csucsai" <> wrote in message
    > I have a very simple database call running on a W2K3 server. I moved it

    over
    > from a W2K box. However, when it is run on the 2K3 server, it leaves a

    lock

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 17, 2004

  3. Rick Csucsai

    Rick Csucsai Guest

    Ya, I switched it to OLEDB first thing. That wasn't my prob.

    After 6 or so hours of digging and pulling my hair out, I finally realized
    that the user account had access to create and manipulate files in the
    directory where the database resided, they just didn't have the right to
    delete any files in the containing folder......

    ugggg....amazing how when you are so used to not worrying about the minor
    issues they will find there way back to you just to remind you that they
    need to be paid attention to. 7 years in ASP and I still let something that
    simple kick my butt.....just amazing

    Another lesson learned in the pay attention to the new permission in w2k3
    experience.

    Rick Csucsai, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Rick Csucsai

    Rick Csucsai Guest

    Boy are you in luck. Just ran into the same thing. Beat myself up over it
    only to be sent back to old school. It is a permissions problem on the
    folder which contains the database. Forget all this hanoo nanoo about
    switching to jet and such as it isn't your problem. To test, on the folder
    that contains the database, give everyone full control. The problem is the
    permission is ok on the DB itself but you don't have delete permission for
    the folder that contains it.

    Rick Csucsai, Sep 14, 2004
  5. Rick Csucsai wrote:
    > Ya, I switched it to OLEDB first thing. That wasn't my prob.

    Switching to OLEDB fixed other problems. Do not revert to ODBC. Do A Google
    if you are interested in why we always recommend switching to OLEDB even
    when it has nothing to do with the user's problem.

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 14, 2004
  6. Rick Csucsai wrote:
    > Boy are you in luck.

    Who? You're replying to your own thread.

    > Just ran into the same thing. Beat myself up
    > over it only to be sent back to old school. It is a permissions
    > problem on the folder which contains the database.

    > Forget all this
    > hanoo nanoo about switching to jet and such as it isn't your problem.

    As I said in my previous message, there are other reasons for switching to
    OLEDB, even when it has nothing to do with the problem at hand: it will
    prevent other problems from coming up. Use Google if interested.

    > To test, on the folder that contains the database, give everyone full
    > control. The problem is the permission is ok on the DB itself but you
    > don't have delete permission for the folder that contains it.

    I realize that you said "To test". However you should make clear that full
    permissions are not needed, and moreover, are probably a bad idea. All that
    is needed is Change permissions (read/write)

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Sep 14, 2004