    Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and extract data from a
    dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use with accompanying
    documentation.
    Stan Cook, Sep 4, 2004

  2. Stan Cook

    Mensanator Guest

    >Subject: Dbase Connection
    >From: "Stan Cook"
    >Date: 9/4/2004 3:38 PM Central Daylight Time
    >
    >Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and extract data from a
    >dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use with accompanying
    >documentation.

    Excel will open .dbf files.

    --
    Mensanator
    Ace of Clubs
    Mensanator, Sep 4, 2004

  3. Hi !

    For littles tables, OK ; but if table(s) has more 10 000 000 records...
    Pof !
    Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non t, Sep 4, 2004
  4. Stan Cook

    Stan Cook Guest

    I want to open it with Python. If that's possible.

    Stan Cook, Sep 4, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Julio_O=F1a?=, Sep 4, 2004
  6. Stan Cook

    Stan Cook Guest

    Stan Cook, Sep 4, 2004
  7. Stan Cook

    Elbert Lev Guest

    "Stan Cook" <> wrote in message news:<mIr_c.16298$>...
    > Thanks Julio. I'll give it a look.
    >
    > Stan
    > "Julio Oña" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:29:27 GMT, Stan Cook

    > <> wrote:
    > > > I want to open it with Python. If that's possible.

    > > Stan,
    > >
    > > There are some information out there, maybe one of these

    > links could help you.
    > >
    > > Regards.
    > >
    > > http://py.vaults.ca/apyllo2.py/96891420
    > >

    > http://cwashington.netreach.net/depo/view.asp?Index=102&ScriptType=python
    > > http://www.garshol.priv.no/download/software/python/
    > >
    > > --
    > > Julio

    If you are on windows ODBC DSN will do.
    Elbert Lev, Sep 5, 2004
  8. "Stan Cook" <> wrote in message news:<3Jp_c.15967$>...
    > Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and extract data from a
    > dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use with accompanying
    > documentation.

    Open Office can open DBase files, and Open Office has Python
    scripting.

    Googling for dbf2csv gives many hits. If you can use one of those
    programs then you could use the excellent CSV Python module in
    processing the resultant csv file.

    Hope it helps, Paddy.
    Paddy McCarthy, Sep 5, 2004
  9. Stan Cook

    Stan Cook Guest

    Thanks. I'll give it a look.

    > > Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and

    extract data from a
    > > dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use

    with accompanying
    > > documentation.

    > Open Office can open DBase files, and Open Office has

    Python
    > scripting.
    >
    > Googling for dbf2csv gives many hits. If you can use one

    of those
    > programs then you could use the excellent CSV Python

    module in
    > processing the resultant csv file.
    >
    > Hope it helps, Paddy.

    ---
    9/1/04
    Stan Cook, Sep 5, 2004
  10. Stan Cook wrote:
    > Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and extract data from a
    > dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use with accompanying
    > documentation.

    Under win32 you can use the Micros~1 Dbf driver for ODBC. Just set up a
    DSN (or not, if you prefer to address the files directly from the python
    source) and use it through python ODBC implemetation (a part of win32all).
    Remigiusz Dybka, Sep 6, 2004