Subject: Dbase Connection
From: "Stan Cook" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 9/4/2004 3:38 PM Central Daylight Time

Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and extract data from a
dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use with accompanying
documentation.

Excel will open .dbf files.

Michel Claveau - abstraction méta-galactique non t

Hi !

For littles tables, OK ; but if table(s) has more 10 000 000 records...
Pof !

Paddy McCarthy

Stan Cook said:
Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and extract data from a
dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use with accompanying
documentation.

Open Office can open DBase files, and Open Office has Python
scripting.

Googling for dbf2csv gives many hits. If you can use one of those
programs then you could use the excellent CSV Python module in
processing the resultant csv file.

Hope it helps, Paddy.

Stan Cook

Thanks. I'll give it a look.

Paddy McCarthy said:
"Stan Cook" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Open Office can open DBase files, and Open Office has Python
scripting.

Googling for dbf2csv gives many hits. If you can use one of those
programs then you could use the excellent CSV Python module in
processing the resultant csv file.

Hope it helps, Paddy.

Remigiusz Dybka

Stan said:
Does anyone know how or what I can use to open, read and extract data from a
dbase database? I haven't found anything of much use with accompanying
documentation.
Under win32 you can use the Micros~1 Dbf driver for ODBC. Just set up a
DSN (or not, if you prefer to address the files directly from the python
source) and use it through python ODBC implemetation (a part of win32all).