DBD::CSV questions and is there a DBD::XML?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Andrew Crook, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Andrew Crook

    Andrew Crook Guest

    I wish to save and read data to a CSV or XML file.
    manual coding could have problems with multiple writes on a file at the same
    time, unless
    flock or "\block" are used.

    I was hoping that DBD:CSV would take this in to account. But I recently
    read:

    "I have heard of cases where mod_perl processes block back waiting for their
    lock on the CSV, and
    once all the Apache children are blocking the server stops responding."

    I was wonder if anyone had experience running such a setup and could
    comment.

    DBD::CSV sounds the best overall solution module wise as it offers SQL
    functionality.

    Also does anyone know of a DBD::XML module?

    regards

    Andrew

    Andrew Crook, Sep 2, 2003

  2. Andrew Crook

    Scott Yanoff Guest

    Scott Yanoff, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Andrew Crook

    Andrew Crook Guest

    > You might be able to retrieve XML via a SQL call and then use an XML
    > parser on that data returned from your query. Many XML parsers exist
    > for Perl.

    No I don't want the results returned in xml I would like to query a xml file
    as a database source using SQL!

    did you mean there this a means to use SQL to query a xml source but the
    result is in the form of xml, which I would then have to parse.

    The actual result would be preferred as a standard record set, but the means
    to do the latter would be better than nothing and may be useful in the
    future.

    Andi

    Andrew Crook, Sep 11, 2003