DBD::mysql problem

Stephen Lake

Hi all,
i am having a small problem with rows in the DBD::mysql module.

more specifically, what I am trying to do is to insert a value in a mysql
table ONLY if it does NOT exist in there already. Now I know the queries are
working ok but its the num rows thats not evaluating properly and thus I am
getting duplicates in the table that I do not want.

I have read the DBD::mysql doc at CPAN but that didn't solve my problem and
have read the perldoc specifically the sections on Operators and Control
Structures and everything here seems to be in accordance with how its
suppose to be done.

Here is a piece of code that I have and that the problem is manifesting
itself in:
======================================
my $qb = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM stockIndex WHERE pSymbol='$sym'");
$qb->execute;
if($qb->rows()==0) {
if(!$dbh->do("INSERT INTO stockIndex(pSymbol) VALUES('$sym')"))
{
print $dbh->errstr;
$qb->finish();
=======================================

Can anyone please point out the error in here or give me any idea of what is
going wrong?

Thanx
Steve

Paul Lalli

i am having a small problem with rows in the DBD::mysql module.

All of the classes and methods you're using come from the 'use DBI'
statement. It is that module with which you are having difficulty, not
DBD::mysql
more specifically, what I am trying to do is to insert a value in a mysql
table ONLY if it does NOT exist in there already.

Independent of the Perl-answer to this question, I'd start to wonder if
your algorithm and database structure are sound. Are you sure you
can't restructure so that you don't attempt to add a duplicate value in
the first place? Are you sure you can't restructure so that the value
is a UNIQUE column, and therefore the database prevents the insertion?
Now I know the queries are
working ok but its the num rows thats not evaluating properly and thus I am
getting duplicates in the table that I do not want.

I have read the DBD::mysql doc at CPAN but that didn't solve my problem

DBD::mysql contains only information specific to the database type
you're using. Your problem is with the Perl DBI in general. You
should look at DBI's docs as well.
Here is a piece of code that I have and that the problem is manifesting
itself in:
======================================
my $qb = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM stockIndex WHERE pSymbol='$sym'");
$qb->execute;
if($qb->rows()==0) {
if(!$dbh->do("INSERT INTO stockIndex(pSymbol) VALUES('$sym')"))
{
print $dbh->errstr;
$qb->finish();
=======================================

Can anyone please point out the error in here or give me any idea of what is
going wrong?

You are making a false assumption about the rows() method. Please read
up on what it actually does:

http://search.cpan.org/~timb/DBI-1.48/DBI.pm#rows

You should also take a look at the Database-specific method of
determining the number of rows in a statement. Search the relevant
MySQL documentation for the "COUNT" function.

Hope this helps,
Paul Lalli