DBD::mysqlPP v DBD::mysql

Mike Solomon

At present I am using DBD:mysqlPP to connect to MySql

is there any advantages or disadvantages to using mysqlPP compared with mysql ?

James Willmore

At present I am using DBD:mysqlPP to connect to MySql

is there any advantages or disadvantages to using mysqlPP compared with mysql ?

Without looking over the modules, I can say this with some certainty -
one is pure Perl (the one with "pp" at the end [snicker :)]) and the
other uses the MySQL headers and libraries.

The advantage with using the straight mysql module, IMHO, is you are
using the MySQL native functionality. This *may* be better, depending
upon what you're doing.

However, the pure Perl version *may* be better because it does *not* rely
upon anything else except Perl.

My suggestion is to run some benchmarks against the two modules and see
what you come up with.

Just my $0.02

--
Jim

for more information.

a fortune quote ...
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in
praise of intelligence. -- Bertrand Russell