DBD::ODBC as "middleware" between Crystal Reports and MySQL

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Dave Hammond, Mar 18, 2008.

  1. Dave Hammond

    Dave Hammond Guest

    For those who are thinking "just install the MySQL ODBC driver and
    point Crystal to it", bear with me...

    Most users connect to our MySQL databases via web applications. The
    web apps and databases live on hosts which are in a "DMZ" segment of
    our network, thus protecting our LAN from any direct Internet access.
    However, in addition to the web apps, some power users use Crystal
    Reports to directly access the databases, in exactly the manner you
    might have assumed -- via the MySQL ODBC driver.

    We have been tasked with moving the MySQL databases off the DMZ hosts
    and into the LAN. This won't cause problems for the web apps, however
    the Crystal users will be S.O.L. unless we can install some kind of
    middleware app which lives in the DMZ and shuttles data between
    Crystal and the MySQL databases.

    I was thinking that we might be able to use DBD::ODBC for such an
    app. Ideally, Crystal would connect to the middleware app via
    DBD::ODBC, the app would validate and forward the SQL query to the
    MySQL server, and then shuttle the results back to Crystal.

    Does anyone have any comments on if something like this would be do-
    able with DBD::ODBC? Or, maybe I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and
    there is something already existing which does what we need?

    Thanks in advance!

    -Dave H.

    Dave Hammond, Mar 18, 2008

  2. Dave Hammond

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth Dave Hammond <>:
    > For those who are thinking "just install the MySQL ODBC driver and
    > point Crystal to it", bear with me...
    >
    > Most users connect to our MySQL databases via web applications. The
    > web apps and databases live on hosts which are in a "DMZ" segment of
    > our network, thus protecting our LAN from any direct Internet access.
    > However, in addition to the web apps, some power users use Crystal
    > Reports to directly access the databases, in exactly the manner you
    > might have assumed -- via the MySQL ODBC driver.
    >
    > We have been tasked with moving the MySQL databases off the DMZ hosts
    > and into the LAN. This won't cause problems for the web apps, however
    > the Crystal users will be S.O.L. unless we can install some kind of
    > middleware app which lives in the DMZ and shuttles data between
    > Crystal and the MySQL databases.
    >
    > I was thinking that we might be able to use DBD::ODBC for such an
    > app. Ideally, Crystal would connect to the middleware app via
    > DBD::ODBC, the app would validate and forward the SQL query to the
    > MySQL server, and then shuttle the results back to Crystal.
    >
    > Does anyone have any comments on if something like this would be do-
    > able with DBD::ODBC? Or, maybe I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and
    > there is something already existing which does what we need?

    No, you've got your thinking backwards. DBD::ODBC is an ODBC *client*:
    that is, it runs at the application end of the connection. What you want
    is an ODBC-capable *server*: something that runs at the database end, so
    Crystal can talk to it. DBIx::MyServer allows you to create a fake MySQL
    server that forwards all requests to another database; in combination
    with the MySQL ODBC driver at the Crystal end, this may do what you
    need.

    Ben

    Ben Morrow, Mar 18, 2008

  3. Dave Hammond

    Dave Hammond Guest

    On Mar 18, 3:52 pm, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth Dave Hammond <>:
    >

    > > For those who are thinking "just install the MySQL ODBC driver and
    > > point Crystal to it", bear with me...

    > > Most users connect to our MySQL databases via web applications. The
    > > web apps and databases live on hosts which are in a "DMZ" segment of
    > > our network, thus protecting our LAN from any direct Internet access.
    > > However, in addition to the web apps, some power users useCrystal> Reportsto directly access the databases, in exactly the manner you
    > > might have assumed -- via the MySQL ODBC driver.

    > > We have been tasked with moving the MySQL databases off the DMZ hosts
    > > and into the LAN. This won't cause problems for the web apps, however
    > > the Crystal users will be S.O.L. unless we can install some kind of
    > > middleware app which lives in the DMZ and shuttles data between
    > > Crystal and the MySQL databases.

    > > I was thinking that we might be able to use DBD::ODBC for such an
    > > app. Ideally, Crystal would connect to the middleware app via
    > > DBD::ODBC, the app would validate and forward the SQL query to the
    > > MySQL server, and then shuttle the results back to Crystal.

    > > Does anyone have any comments on if something like this would be do-
    > > able with DBD::ODBC? Or, maybe I'm trying to reinvent the wheel and
    > > there is something already existing which does what we need?

    > No, you've got your thinking backwards. DBD::ODBC is an ODBC *client*:
    > that is, it runs at the application end of the connection. What you want
    > is an ODBC-capable *server*: something that runs at the database end, so
    > Crystal can talk to it. DBIx::MyServer allows you to create a fake MySQL
    > server that forwards all requests to another database; in combination
    > with the MySQL ODBC driver at the Crystal end, this may do what you
    > need.
    >
    > Ben

    Well, only as regards using DBD::ODBC ... the project concept itself
    seems reasonable enough :) That aside, your pointer to
    DBIx::MyServer looks to be just what I need. Thanks very much.

    -Dave H.

    Dave Hammond, Mar 20, 2008