DBD::ODBC looks in /etc not /usr/local/etc for odbc files

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Wes Gamble, Apr 4, 2006.

  1. Wes Gamble

    Wes Gamble Guest

    All,

    I had installed the freetds and unixODBC packages onto my Linux system
    using RPMs.

    These RPMs installed these two packages into / basically (config files
    in /etc, libraries in /lib and so forth).

    However, when I discovered that they weren't working, I gave up on the
    RPMs and built the packages myself into /usr/local (config files in
    /usr/local/etc, libraries in /usr/local/lib and so forth).

    I then installed ruby-odbc and ruby-dbi (with the ODBC driver).

    What I'm finding is that when I attempt to use the DBD::ODBC package to
    connect to my database, the config. files are still being referenced
    from /etc instead of /usr/local/etc.

    How do I "make" the Ruby modules look in /usr/local for the config files
    instead of /etc?

    I don't really understand how Ruby is generating it's path's internally.

    Thanks,
    Wes

    Wes Gamble, Apr 4, 2006

  2. You set the configuration files path when configuring unixODBC. Test
    your ODBC connection with isql. Ruby ODBC only uses whatever was
    configured in unixODBC.

    2006/4/4, Wes Gamble <>:
    > All,
    >
    > I had installed the freetds and unixODBC packages onto my Linux system
    > using RPMs.
    >
    > These RPMs installed these two packages into / basically (config files
    > in /etc, libraries in /lib and so forth).
    >
    > However, when I discovered that they weren't working, I gave up on the
    > RPMs and built the packages myself into /usr/local (config files in
    > /usr/local/etc, libraries in /usr/local/lib and so forth).
    >
    > I then installed ruby-odbc and ruby-dbi (with the ODBC driver).
    >
    > What I'm finding is that when I attempt to use the DBD::ODBC package to
    > connect to my database, the config. files are still being referenced
    > from /etc instead of /usr/local/etc.
    >
    > How do I "make" the Ruby modules look in /usr/local for the config files
    > instead of /etc?
    >
    > I don't really understand how Ruby is generating it's path's internally.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Wes

    Gerardo Santana
    "Between individuals, as between nations, respect for the rights of
    others is peace" - Don Benito Ju=E1rez
    http://santanatechnotes.blogspot.com/

    Gerardo Santana Gómez Garrido, Apr 5, 2006