DBD::Pg installation under Vista

Martin Rombach

Hey,

i want to access PostgreSQL 8.3 from Perl 5.10.0 under Vista.
Therefore I need the DBD::pg driver. Because it isn't available on
ActiveState I downloaded a binary version from PgFoundry and installed
it with ppm.

A test script fails since "msvcr80.dll" is missing. Runnig the VisualC+
+-Runtime installer didn't helped, so I copied the file to System32
which worked fine, as a new error "R6034" occured. I copied
pg.dll.manifest to Perl-bin which worked on my XP machine, but not on
Vista. How can I get DBD::pg running on my Vista computer?

Martin

sisyphus

A test script fails since "msvcr80.dll" is missing. Runnig the VisualC+
+-Runtime installer didn't helped, so I copied the file to System32
which worked fine, as a new error "R6034" occured. I copied
pg.dll.manifest to Perl-bin which worked on my XP machine, but not on
Vista. How can I get DBD::pg running on my Vista computer?

I take it you've now got msvcr80.dll installed in a location where
it's being found ok.
Do you have any additional info on the "R6034" error. (I don't know
what that is.)

As regards the pg.dll.manifest, could it be that it needs to be placed
in perl/site/bin instead of perl/bin ? (It probably depends upon where
pg.dll is located.)

Cheers,
Rob

Martin Rombach

Hey Rob,
Do you have any additional info on the "R6034" error. (I don't know
what that is.)
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe
R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library
incorrectly. Please contact the applications's support team for more
information.

And Perl shouts:
install_driver(Pg) failed: Can't load 'C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/DBD/Pg/
Pg.dll' for
module DBD::pg: load_file:Eine DLL-Initialisierungsroutine ist
fehlgeschlagen [[in English: "dll initialization routine failed"]] at
C:/Perl/lib/DynaLoader.pm line 202.
at (eval 9) line 3
Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where
expected
at test.pl line 14
As regards the pg.dll.manifest, could it be that it needs to be placed
in perl/site/bin instead of perl/bin ? (It probably depends upon where
pg.dll is located.)
Yes, thats right. pg.dll.manifest is placed in C:/Perl/site/lib/auto/
DBD/Pg/. I copied it to C:/Perl/bin and renamed it into
Perl.exe.manifest (i forgot to say that, sorry). I got that tip from
the internet and it worked fine on my XP-Machine, but not on Vista.

Cheers,
Martin