DBD::SQLite install with PPM, MD5 bootstrap parameter

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ccc31807, Dec 5, 2011.

  1. ccc31807

    ccc31807 Guest

    Guys,

    I've been trying most of the afternoon to get SQLite working with
    Perl. I've got both Perl64 (on Windows 7) and SQLite going, but they
    don't seem to communicate. DBI tells me that the SQLite DBD is
    available but not installed. Yeah.

    Using PPM, I get this message when I try to install DBD::SQLite---
    Synchronizing Database ... done
    DBD-SQLite marked for install
    Installing package ...
    Downloading DBD-SQLite-1.35 ... done
    Unpacking DBD-SQLite-1.35 ... done
    Generating HTML for DBD-SQLite-1.35 ... done
    Updating files in site area ... failed
    Installing package failed
    ERROR: Digest::MD5 object version 2.51 does not match bootstrap
    parameter 2.36_01

    When I try to installDigest::MD5, I get this message---
    DBD-SQLite unmarked for install
    Digest-MD5 marked for install
    Installing package ...
    Downloading Digest-MD5-2.51 ... done
    Unpacking Digest-MD5-2.51 ... done
    Generating HTML for Digest-MD5-2.51 ... done
    Updating files in site area ... failed
    Installing package failed
    ERROR: Attempt to reload Digest/MD5.pm aborted.
    Compilation failed in require

    I can't use CPAN because my network administrator absolutely forbids
    both make and Mingw, so I seem to be stuck with PPM.

    Thanks, CC.

    ccc31807, Dec 5, 2011

  2. ccc31807

    ccc31807 Guest

    On Dec 5, 9:31 pm, Ben Morrow <> wrote:

    Ben,

    Thanks for your help. I bit the bullet and got Strawberry Perl, and
    everything worked out of the box.

    I'm on a virtual server, 64 bit, Windows 7, and this has been an
    exercise in frustration from the very beginning. I'm no Perl expert,
    but I know how to do my job, and I've run into roadblocks every step
    of the way. Nothing works, Apache, SQLite, vim, PPM, CPAN, MSTSC,
    Firefox, etc. and so on. I've been using these tools for years, and
    it's a brave new world where the tools you've used fail.

    Thanks again (and forgive my spouting off ... no one at work has any
    sympathy.)

    CC.

    ccc31807, Dec 6, 2011

  3. ccc31807

    C.DeRykus Guest

    On Dec 5, 6:31 pm, Ben Morrow <> wrote:
    > Quoth ccc31807 <>:
    >

    > > I've been trying most of the afternoon to get SQLite working with
    > > Perl. I've got both Perl64 (on Windows 7) and SQLite going, but they
    > > don't seem to communicate. DBI tells me that the SQLite DBD is
    > > available but not installed. Yeah.

    > > Using PPM, I get this message when I try to install DBD::SQLite---
    > > Synchronizing Database ... done
    > > DBD-SQLite marked for install
    > > Installing package ...
    > >   Downloading DBD-SQLite-1.35 ... done
    > >   Unpacking DBD-SQLite-1.35 ... done
    > >   Generating HTML for DBD-SQLite-1.35 ... done
    > >   Updating files in site area ... failed
    > > Installing package failed
    > > ERROR: Digest::MD5 object version 2.51 does not match bootstrap
    > > parameter 2.36_01

    > > When I try to installDigest::MD5, I get this message---
    > > DBD-SQLite unmarked for install
    > > Digest-MD5 marked for install
    > > Installing package ...
    > >   Downloading Digest-MD5-2.51 ... done
    > >   Unpacking Digest-MD5-2.51 ... done
    > >   Generating HTML for Digest-MD5-2.51 ... done
    > >   Updating files in site area ... failed
    > > Installing package failed
    > > ERROR: Attempt to reload Digest/MD5.pm aborted.
    > > Compilation failed in require

    > Have you tried completely uninstalling Digest::MD5, and then
    > reinstalling it?
    >
    > Digest::MD5 consists of three files
    >
    >     Digest/MD5.pm
    >     auto/Digest/MD5.bs
    >     auth/Digest/MD5.dll
    >
    > of which the second is empty and entirely unimportant. If you untar the
    > tar.gz ppm is using (or re-download it by hand from the repo) and point
    > perl at that directory, will it load Digest::MD5? Has PPM somehow got
    > hold of a corrupted tarball?
    >
    > If you then go in by hand and put those files in their right places in
    > your perl installation, does that work? This is not a good long-term
    > solution, since I don't think PPM will expect those files to be there,
    > but it may get PPM working long enough to reinstall Digest::MD5
    > properly.
    >
    > > I can't use CPAN because my network administrator absolutely forbids
    > > both make and Mingw, so I seem to be stuck with PPM.

    > I would strongly recommend against trying to use CPAN.pm with ActivePerl
    > in any case. I know they've improved support in recent years, but IME
    > it's still pretty unreliable.
    >
    > [This is completely general. If you're using a package manager, use it.
    > If you want to use CPAN.pm, build your own perl. The only exception I
    > know of is Strawberry Perl, which was designed to use CPAN.pm as its
    > package manager.]

    Interestingly, I found Strawberry even provides a
    ppm which can access non-CPAN repositories...once
    in a while useful for tricky/time-consuming modules:

    PPM> set repository activestate http://activestate.com/MSWin32-x64/5.12/1200/package.xml
    PPM> install Devel::NYTProf
    Installing C:\strawberry\perl\site\lib\auto\Devel\NYTProf\NYTProf.bs

    --
    Charles DeRykus

    C.DeRykus, Dec 6, 2011