DBD::Sybase with FreeTDS on 64-bit linux fix

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Andrew, Aug 15, 2009.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Just wanted to post a rather trivial fix that took me hours of
    fruitless googling and tinkering

    This symlink fixed the error below, occurring with "DBD::Sybase" usage
    in my script (on a Fedora 9):

    ln -s /usr/local/freetds/lib/libct.so.4 /usr/lib64/

    Note: a symlink at /usr/local/lib64 did NOT help for me.

    Not sure if this is the best/cleanest way, but it seems to work. I
    would guess that Perl is doing everything correctly, and it is freetds
    that doesn't install its shared objects in accordance with (Fedora?)
    convention. The gurus here might have more info on this.

    perl error:

    install_driver(Sybase) failed: Can't load '/usr/local/lib64/perl5/
    site_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.so'
    for module DBD::Sybase: libct.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No
    such file or directory at /usr/lib64/perl5/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-
    multi/DynaLoader.pm line 203.
    at (eval 7) line 3
    Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where
    expected
    at [path-to-script] line [whatever]
    Andrew, Aug 15, 2009