dbdbd installation help please

Joseph Paish

has anyone successfully installed dbdbd? this program has just the right level of simplicity and
power for what i want to do (manage a small to medium-sized flat file database).

i have downloaded and unzipped it onto my single-user machine and when i try and install it using
"ruby install.rb" as root (as per the documentation included with the program) i get the following
error message :

install.rb:10: undefined method '+' for nil (Name Error)

line 10 in install.rb looks like this :
dest = Config::CONFIG["sitelibdir"] + File::SEPARATOR + source

am i missing a library i need in order to install this program? or is it something else that is so
obvious that i'm not seeing it?

thanks

joe

ps. i am running ruby 1.6.2 on linux.

Tim Hunter

has anyone successfully installed dbdbd? this program has just the
right level of simplicity and power for what i want to do (manage a
small to medium-sized flat file database).

i have downloaded and unzipped it onto my single-user machine and when i
try and install it using "ruby install.rb" as root (as per the
documentation included with the program) i get the following error
message :

install.rb:10: undefined method '+' for nil (Name Error)

line 10 in install.rb looks like this : dest =
Config::CONFIG["sitelibdir"] + File::SEPARATOR + source

am i missing a library i need in order to install this program? or is
it something else that is so obvious that i'm not seeing it?

thanks

joe

ps. i am running ruby 1.6.2 on linux.

1.6.2? Really? It's possible that such an old version of Ruby didn't
define the 'sitelibdir' entry. I'd try upgrading to 1.8.1 and then
installing dbdbd.

ts

J> ps. i am running ruby 1.6.2 on linux.

It's too old your ruby :)

svg% ruby -v
ruby 1.6.2 (2000-12-25) [i686-linux]
svg%

we are in 2003, you are sure that you don't want update it ?

J> dest = Config::CONFIG["sitelibdir"] + File::SEPARATOR + source

here the reason

svg% ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["sitelibdir"]'
nil
svg%

this variable was not defined in 2000

Guy Decoux

Ed Redman

I also have tried installing dbdbd and I am running ruby 1.8.0
Using insert I get the following
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbdbd.rb:113: warning: Object#type is deprecated;
use Object#class

I also get undefined methods 'fields'